Suggestions for similar repertoire?
  • trentonjconn
    Lately I've been playing through some simple French romantic elevations and communions while the laity receive during Mass. They're fine, but after a few weeks of this I'm looking to mix things up and lean a little more baroque/renaissance. Any suggestions for repertoire from these eras along the lines of, say, the Frescobaldi chromatic elevation toccata (link to score included for reference)? I'm looking for simple, subdued, and meditative pieces two or more pages long which are basically sight-readable for your average joe, as I'm trying to avoid adding much extra practice time. Thanks for any pointers.

The Frescobaldi: https://imslp.org/wiki/Special:ImagefromIndex/288185/hftn
  • LarsLars
    Pachelbel:
    Fantasia in G minor
    Fantasia in E-flat major
    Ricercar in F-sharp minor
    Ricercar in C minor
    Aus tiefer Not Schrei ich zu dir
  • M. Jackson Osborn
    Recits pour le chromhorn, le nazard, or le tierce, etc. from French baroque organ masses are always nice for communions.
    Some (not all, but some) voluntaries, fantasias, in nomines, etc., from Britons such as Gibbons, Tomkins, Weelkes, Bull, etc. are good for communion music.
    There are always certain of B's Orgelbuchlein which would work well.
    Also, the manualiter settings in Bach's Clavier Ubung III
    Frescobaldi or Froberger ricercars would serve nicely.
    Although they may be too short, de Cabezon has versets for the Magnificat and a variety of hymns.
    You can always improvise on a communion-appropriate hymn (chant or otherwise).
  • trentonjconn
    I do normally improvise on Eucharistic melodies, be they chant or metrical hymns. I find myself in a bit of an improvising rut which is why I'm switching things up and playing actual pieces. Great suggestions so far gents, thank you.

Edit: The G minor fantasia is exactly what I'm looking for; I'll be playing it this Sunday.
    Thanked by 1DavidOLGC
  • davido
    Toccata for the elevation by Domenico Zipoli (F and C Major)
    Elevation - Tierce en taille from Couperin’s Mass for the Convents
  • LarsLars
    a few by José Elías you might find useful
  • trentonjconn
    Lars, I'm impressed at how perfectly fitting all of your suggestions are. Precisely what I'm looking for. Thank you.
    Thanked by 1Lars
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    I've always kept Sweelinck's prelude right next to the Pachelbel fantasias. You might check out Cabezon.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    BWV 721's chorale is more gracious to sing with the missing syllable, "Erbarm' dich mein" ;-)
  • LarsLars
    another one you might find useful

Thanked by 1trentonjconn