Vespers on Dec. 8, 2024
  • avscvltaavscvlta
    December 8, 2024 - Second Sunday of Advent
    December 9, 2024 - Immaculate Conception (Solemnity, Patronal Feastday of USA)

Does anyone know which of these should be celebrated during Vespers on December 8th?

Edit: Changed to 2024 from 2025.
  • PaxTecum
    according to which rubrics? novus ordo, 1962, pre-55 ?
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • avscvltaavscvlta
    We are novus ordo.
  • MarkB
    I believe you meant 2024, not 2025.

The Second Sunday of Advent ranks higher than the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception on the Table of Liturgical Days. That's why on Sunday, December 8, 2024 the Second Sunday of Advent is observed instead of the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception, whose observance is transferred to Monday since it is of lower rank than the Advent Sunday.

Vespers on Sunday, December 8, 2024 should be Evening Prayer II for the Second Sunday of Advent instead of Evening Prayer I for the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception because the Advent Sunday ranks higher than the solemnity. The guiding principle is that the higher ranking day's texts are used in the celebration of the hours when liturgical feasts overlap.
    Thanked by 1avscvlta
  • Liam
    Monday, 9 December 2024, is not a day of precept in the USA. That would strengthen the idea that EP on the evening before should be of EP2 Advent 2, not EP1 of IC.
    Thanked by 1avscvlta
  • avscvltaavscvlta
    Thank you!
  • a_f_hawkins
    Well here is a puzzle :-
    Posted April 2017, and agreeing with the preamble to the Office, in my 1974 copy.
    https://www.archbalt.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/GeneralNormsLiturgicalYear.pdf
    5. Because of its special importance, the Sunday celebration gives way only to solemnities or feasts of the Lord. The Sundays of the seasons of Advent, Lent, and Easter, however, take precedence over all solemnities and feasts of the Lord. Solemnities occuring on these Sundays are observed on the Saturdays preceding.

Document dated 07 Dec 2012, :-
    https://www.liturgyoffice.org.uk/Resources/GIRM/Documents/GNLY.pdf
    5 Because of its special importance, the Sunday celebration gives way only
    to solemnities or feasts of the Lord. The Sundays of the seasons of Advent, Lent,
    and Easter, however, take precedence over all solemnities and feasts of the Lord.
    Solemnities occurring on these Sundays are transferred to the following Monday
    except
    in the case of their occurrence on Passion Sunday (Palm Sunday) or on
    Easter Sunday.
  • igneusigneus
    No puzzle, just one of developments in the GNLY. The version with Monday is the one currently in force.
  • a_f_hawkins
    It's still a puzzle to find the latest/current version, or any dates other than Paul VI 14 February 1969.
  • igneusigneus
    I've been keeping track of the calendar legislation developments in the source tree of a related software project.
    Thanked by 1a_f_hawkins