Typeface (aka Fonts) and only Typeface in use in worship aides
  • I'm curious to see what everyone uses. I'm going to keep it simple.

What I use/have used:

EB Garammond (2016-2023; 2024-Present *for now*)
    Footlight MT Light (2023-2024; *I tried something new but went back after a year)
    Hastegi (2024- Present *New to me, intend to use for headings/Titles)
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    In worship aids, I wouldn’t necessarily apply another font for headings and titles. What I have mainly used:

Adobe Garamond Pro
    for Simple English Propers (2011), Lumen Christi Missal (2012-), Lauds and Vespers booklets (2016-)
    Elegant, timeless typeface.

New Aster
    for Ad Completorium (2021), Kyriale parvum (2022)
    Good proportion between width and height, which adds to readability. All editio typica from 1969 onwards have been set in New Aster

Palatino
    for Klein Graduale, Antwoordpsalmen (2017)

Adobe Caslon Pro
    for De zondag vieren (2022-)
  • tomjaw
    Century schoolbook
    For the text under chant

Garamond
    All other text

Lombardic
    Initial character for chant
  • GerardH
    EB Garamond for everything - including chant and modern scores.

On special occasions, LDN Garamond Initials for the initial character to the Gospel.
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • MatthewRoth
    EB Garamond as well. The original designer “finished” one set of initials so I added those when I discovered them.
  • ServiamScores
    Gerard, thanks for that link to the Garamond Initials. That's one I do not have and I like it. I've used something similar that's a knockoff, but it's not nearly as refined. I'll be making some pew cards with the ordinary for Advent, so I'll be purchasing this font for that.

For us, I use Iowan Old Style for all lyrics and body text. It is so elegant and yet very legible at small sizes. It is also wonderful for pointing text because there is a "black" (extra bold) option which really makes syllables pop.

Yana is used for our headers and titles, and is the daily driver for drop caps. (As an aside, there are some phenomenal alternate glyphs for capitals, so you can get really creative with drop caps.)

Optima for small annotations and cues, and for the credits, since it is very legible at extremely small sizes.

I'm attaching this week's worship aid which includes all of these fonts for reference.
    Thanked by 1GerardH
  • Marc Cerisier
    For most things I design, I use DTL Documenta (the font used in Gotteslob). The clients I regularly engrave for use Times, Minion Pro, Sabon, Garamond Pro, and Caslon.

For situations calling for a sans serif font, my current favorite is Marianne—which is the French national font, and very well designed. I also use Avemir and Optima.
    Thanked by 1Paul F. Ford
  • MatthewRoth
    I love Marianne.
  • NihilNominisNihilNominis
    Centaur has become my go-to.

It just... works.
  • Bombarde16
    Calisto MT for titles (typically with Small Caps)
    Book antiqua for music engraving (lyrics and such)

Though I'm intrigued by what a lot of people here have mentioned!!!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    In the past I have mostly used Garamond (the font of every blessing)

Recently, for my own music engraving, I've been using Baskerville. It is similar (but not exactly) to the font used in the Hymnal 1982. I find it it fits well under music. (Time New Roman, being slimmer, fits better - but looks like garbage). Most of the other fonts I like for text (Garamond, Palatino, Georgia) are a bit too fat for hymns.