Permission status of the Palmer & Burgess Propers within the Roman Rite
  • CantorCole
    Hello,

I am curious about the status of the Palmer & Burgess propers with regards to usage in the Roman Rite according to the Roman Missal. Are there any explicit instructions that address this topic (from a general perspective; I doubt there is anything addressing the specific translation/adaptation)?

Thank you,
    CantorCole
  • Marc Cerisier
    “Another suitable song” covers a lot of territory.
    Thanked by 2irishtenor tomjaw
  • a_f_hawkins
    "another suitable song" was never unqualified, this is the current US version :
    ; (3) a chant from another collection of Psalms and antiphons, approved by the Conference of Bishops or the Diocesan Bishop, including Psalms arranged in responsorial or metrical forms; (4) another liturgical chant that is suited to the sacred action, the day, or the time of year, similarly approved by the Conference of Bishops or the Diocesan Bishop.

And note that it is the text which requires approval, not the tune.
  • Liam
    And the USCCB delegated that approval to respective bishops of the place of publication, which is contemplated by the "or the Diocesan Bishop" if you squint.
  • Chaswjd
    If there is a question, why not run it past your diocesan office of worship and get permission? I can’t see that there would be anything wrong with the texts.