Favorite 8.7.8.7. Double Tune?
  • Bombarde16
    What are your favorite 8.7.8.7. Double tunes that you love besides (or in addition to) Hyfrydol, Pleading Savior, and Nettleton?

I adore Chartres and Rustington! I just wish they were more common and/or easier to introduce to congregations... This is something I'll be working on locally for the near future!
  • M. Jackson Osborn
    A marvelous substitue for Hyfrydol on the American side of our pond is Blaenwern which is well known on the British side of our pond. If only because Hyfrydol has become so commonplace Blaenwern is quite more stirring for 'Alleluya, Sing...' or 'Love Divine...'.
  • Liam
    To assist consideration, here's a handy reference (click on 50 entries per page):

https://hymnary.org/search?qu=meter:8.7.8.7 d in:tune

For me on that first page, AUSTRIA is immortal, though not necessarily my favorite tune in that meter.

As for ODE TO JOY: only if Beethoven's original rhythm is *retained*.
  • trentonjconn
  • Liam
    Btw, for folks who've only encountered Richard Proulx's rearrangement of the hymn, "How Can I Keep From Singing?", the 19th century original (public domain) setting (music and text) is better in so many ways - it would be nice to see this used instead:

https://hymnary.org/page/fetch/EH1921/197/high

Link is from 1921, but this goes back to around 1870.

Btw, Doris Plenn's additional verse* that Proulx included in his rearrangement is also public domain, as the copyright extension for it was not done correctly - IIRC that was litigated when Enya covered the song

* When tyrants tremble, sick with fear, And hear their death-knell ringing,
    When friends rejoice both far and near, How can I keep from singing?
    In prison cell and dungeon vile, Our thoughts to them go winging;
    When friends by shame are undefiled, How can I keep from singing?
    Thanked by 1rich_enough
  • rich_enough
    ". . . the . . . original (public domain) setting (music and text) is better in so many ways . . . "

As is usually the case . . .
    Thanked by 2Liam LauraKaz
  • Liam
    If someone had asked me about rearranging it, I would have just made it sung in unison and adapted steady-crochet harmonic movement during mid-line dotted-half notes of the melody, as someone might have done had the melody and text been adapted for the 1906 English Hymnal or the 1940 Hymnal. (*Not* turn it into a 4/4 melody with part of the text lifted and riffed as a refrain.)
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    It's probably worth pointing out that "How Can I Keep From Singing?"/"My Life Flows On" that Liam cited is 87.87.D iambic, whereas the other 87.87.D tunes mentioned here are trochaic (which seems to be the more common occurrence).
  • Liam
    Yes, I considered mentioning that: it's unusual but ... possible.
  • Ralph BednarzRalph Bednarz
    Ebenezer
  • ViolaViola
    Westminster Abbey