Organists -- Beyond the fanfare, your favorite low key movements of grand organ works?
  • File under "Just for Fun"

I'm as big a fan of a bombastic symphony movement as anyone. I can't get enough of playing the Allegro and Finale from Widor VI, or the Finale from the Vierne I, or Guilmant's Final of the First Sonata. But in between the grandiose movements often hide gems of tranquility and moving melodies. Curious to know your favorite lesser known or less frequently played movements of the grand organ works.

For me, the favorite far & away is the Cantabile from Widor VI. Gorgeous melody, beautiful alternating work between the Hautbois and Flute, and a heart-gripping finale on four staves with celeste and flute. And deceptively difficult (and fun) to play! One of my all time favorite pieces to hear, study, and play. It just never gets old for me.

What's your favorite?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • tandrews
    The quiet movements to Mendelssohn I, III, and VI are really nice, and fit well as preludes for lots of different liturgies.
    Thanked by 132ContraBombarde
  • PhilipPowell
    Of course Boellman’s ‘Priere a Notre Dame’ from Suite Gothique comes to mind.