Assumption motet
  • ViolaViola
    Please has anyone advice on a suitable SATB motet for the Solemnity of the Assumption. Not too challenging as several of our choir members will be on holiday, but it is our patronal feast so we need to mark it appropriately.
    To give an idea, last year we sang the Arcadelt/Dietsch Ave Maria.
    Thanks in anticipation!
  • TimTheEnchanterTimTheEnchanter
    If you're willing to spend a few bucks, track down Alvez Barkoskie (is he on this message board at all?) and ask him for his Salve Regina setting. I had a small group do it at our evening Mass last Assumption, and it was both approachable and very pretty.
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen Viola lmassery
  • ViolaViola
    Thank you, that sounds like an interesting choice, though at the request of the bishop, we always sing the chant Salve (possibly the festal tone) at the end of Compline, which follows the evening Mass. Perhaps we could get away with doing both versions.
  • PhilipPowell
    Last year we did Talley’s ‘Ave Regina Caelorum’ (which I know isn’t actually “in season” for August 15).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jngP0Goixiw
  • CGM
    If you like "Ave Maria"s, you might consider the Handl setting. It's a little tricker than the Arcadelt, but not too much.
    Thanked by 2Viola PaxTecum
  • CGM
    There's also a simple and brief "Ave Maris Stella" by Soriano that might suit.
    Thanked by 1Viola
  • liampmcdonough
    The motet Omni die dic Mariae, by Gorczycki is beautiful and about as easy as the Arcadelt.
  • liampmcdonough
    Also Sicut Lilium, Brumel, is easy and on the Matins antiphon of the day. It is short, we usually sing it interposed with extra verses from Song of Songs.
    Thanked by 2rich_enough Viola
  • tomjaw
    Ave Maris Stella Hassler
    Ave Maria Parsons
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Not difficult, not long and drawn out, a joy to sing (okay, I'm tooting my own oboe horn):

Ave Maria (Chares H. Giffen)
    Thanked by 2tomjaw Viola
  • rich_enough
    Ave gratia plena by Cornelius Verdonck is lovely and not too difficult. And the only copy is preserved in an engraving! (see this video recording of the work)
    Thanked by 1Viola
  • Chaswjd
    Although not entirely seasonal is the Aichinger Regina Coeli. It has an ABACA form which makes it easier for a choir to learn.
    Thanked by 1Viola
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Stravinsky's Bogoroditse dievo is quite lovely, as is Ave Maria with its revised alto and an amen that I. S. likened to an ionic temple's patio. The 3 slavonic anthems are from the same period as his five-finger piano pieces, and the voice parts a similarly confined to 4-6 pitches each.
    Thanked by 1Viola
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    Off the top of my head:

Sub Tuum Praesidium by Flor Peeters
    Ave Maria by Mauro-Cottone

Both can be found in Marier’s Pius X Hymnal.
    Thanked by 1Viola
  • Jeffrey Quick
    I'm surprised that nobody is suggesting an Assumpta est Maria
    There's an 18th c Brazilian one which looks easy enough and not totally without musical merit:
    https://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Assumpta_est_Maria_(Manoel_Dias_de_Oliveira)
  • ViolaViola
    Thanks to all for taking the time to make these suggestions.
    Right now my husband and I, with three friends, are recovering from choir burnout on the Isle of Wight, a place I would heartily recommend. We attended Mass last Sunday at Quarr Abbey, and took part in the procession around the grounds, a wonderful experience.
    So I haven't had time as yet to look through all the suggestions yet, but I will on our return, and get our cathedral choir started on some.
    Thanks again.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen tomjaw
  • Liam
    For folks unfamiliar with the interior of Quarr Abbey, completed in 1912, courtesy of Google Maps:

3606 x 2312 - 11M
  • ViolaViola
    The grounds are beautiful too, and the tea shop is recommended.