“Wear something red!”
  • CatholicZ09
    Ah, the annual social media post from my home parish urging everyone to wear red to Mass on Pentecost.

I don’t know why it irks me, but it does.
    Thanked by 1Reval
  • Charging3296
    Just as tacky as wearing runny makeup on the day of Our Lady of Sorrows.
  • ServiamScores
    Fiddling while Rome burns?

Let's be honest about two things:
    1.) this is exceedingly trivial, and nothing to be irked about
    2.) you could do worse than have a church that in some small way seeks to have people engage with some aspect of the liturgy (in this case, liturgical color)

At least it gets them thinking about how the liturgy can impact their lives outside of a slim 55 minute window once per week.
  • Charging3296
    Squeaky wheel gets the grease. You can be outraged over the big things and irked by the little things at the same time. It's also cringe when people come in pink blazers on Laetare Sunday; same energy as holding your hands up during the Our Father.
    Thanked by 1Reval
  • MatthewRoth
    It’s trivial but I’d be irritated too. Wearing the color of the day and baking a cake are the extent of living liturgically, but people get upset if you suggest coming to sung/solemn Mass during the week or even to Sunday Vespers. It’s all a big sacrifice, but that’s the point. This is in the trad bubble too…
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • I think wearing the liturgical color of the day to Mass is great, I always try to do it.

But it should be tasteful, so I'll always wear my charcoal suit, and just switch my tie to match the liturgical color. Black/Purple/Red/Green/Rose. For white, since my shirt's already white, I wear a gold tie, or blue for Feasts of Our Lady. It just follows the natural flow of the liturgical year without being in your face about it. A church on Pentecost full of people who were all wearing some red in a tasteful way, matching the scheme of the priest's vestments and (hopefully) red flowers on the Altar, would be very beautiful to me.

That said though, I think people should do it naturally without needing to be reminded, and a social media post would probably be an annoyance.

Of course, there are a lot of things far more important than what we wear, but that doesn't take away from the fact that living out the details is also a nice touch.
  • Liam
    Be ecumenical and wear...bright green - the Eastern color for the Holy Spirit.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    I used to wear and get friends to wear pink shirts/blouses on "Pink Sunday" every year during Lent and Advent. I did it just to irk the priest over his vestments and tabernacle veil that were not rose, but shocking pink.
    Thanked by 1GerardH
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    There was a priest in my diocese who recommended the wearing of undergarments with the appropriate liturgical color. Even wrote a poem about it.

He’s since been asked to leave the priesthood…
    Thanked by 3CharlesW tomjaw Carol
  • trentonjconn
    Yikes.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw Carol
  • Jeffrey Quick
    There was a priest in my diocese who recommended the wearing of undergarments with the appropriate liturgical color.

He grew up in Utah?
    At least that way you could wear liturgical colors and only God would see them. One hopes.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW tomjaw
  • CharlesW
    There was a priest in my diocese who recommended the wearing of undergarments with the appropriate liturgical color. Even wrote a poem about it.

Hehehehehe. LOL
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • tomjaw
    Are you sure he was not made a Cardinal? I wish I could put this comment in purple...
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Jeffrey Quick
    [lesser than]font color=purple[greater than] Your non-serious text here[lesser than] /font[greater than]
    Where [lesser than] = the symbols between M and ?
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • chonakchonak
    The idea is cute, but if a lot of people were to wear red, the liturgical ministers and the altar might not stand out much.

For an analogy: at a wedding, only one person wears white.
  • Carol
    I always thought this was a little too cute and so I generally don't do it. I did ask my first grade students to tell me what color vestments the priest had worn during the Mass when we came back into the classroom on First Friday.

My father was the youngest of his siblings and the only one not born in Ireland. He never wore green on St. Patrick's Day but used to say he had on green underwear if someone brought up the "wearing of the green."