Hymn Fest for Our Lady - Boston Area
  • oldhymnsoldhymns
    By popular request, the HYMN FEST FOR OUR LADY will again be held in the Archdiocese of Boston. The event will take place at St. Francis of Assisi Church, Medford, on Sunday, May 19, at 2 p.m.

Traditional Marian "old favorites" (see list below) will be played by organist Shawn Mikkelson. Tenor Mark Nemeskal will lead the sing-along, and Peter Meggison will introduce each hymn offering a brief reflection on the hymn's history and significance in Catholic devotional life. Join us down this trip through "memory lane" as we honor Our Lady in this special way in her month of May!

Bring Flowers of the Rarest
    On This Day, O Beautiful Mother
    Mother Dear, O Pray for Me
    Mother Dearest, Mother Fairest
    Mother of Christ
    O Virgin Mother, Lady of Good Counsel
    Mother at Your Feet is Kneeling
    The Sun is Shining Brightly
    Daughter of a Mighty Father (Macula non est in te)
    'Tis the Month of Our Mother
  • mmeladirectress
    about this >> O Virgin Mother, Lady of Good Counsel

the Dominican Sisters taught us this when i was what, about 9 yrs old
    and I have never heard it since - anywhere - or even found it printed.
    Thanks for keeping it alive. sweet memories
  • oldhymnsoldhymns
    Mmeladirectress,
    I am attaching the music for O Virgin Mother, Lady of Good Counsel for you. The words were composed by the prolific Catholic author, Eleanor Donnelly. The music for this version, which I believe is the most popular, was composed by the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur of Philadelphia and first appeared in their Chapel Hymn Book of 1893. It's odd that McLaughlin & Reilly captioned it "Old Hymn" in their 1944 publication because it was barely 50 years old at the time. I know of at least three other melodies for this hymn.

You can hear a fine rendition of this hymn here:

https://www.catholicdevotionalhymns.com/recordings/hymns-from-st-cecilias-2012/
    2514 x 3467 - 2M