Pointing and copyrights
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    Does anyone know whether the pointing to psalmody in the Mundelein Psalter is copyrighted? I'm assuming the texts themselves are not, as they are the texts of the Roman Office. I would like to print some psalms with pointing (but no musical notation) for an upcoming Vespers; we need to re-set the type anyway for our programs. (I have been promised a printing permissions letter from LTP, but it is taking *forever* to get here.)
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    i would assume that they are part of the commons. Certainly the author/composer would wish them to be.
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    Forgive my ignorance: what are "the commons"?
  • G
    Aren't the psalms Grail? and copyrighted?

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I think alfredo has done work in this area
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    I just got my copyright permission, yay! I'm still interested in the answer to my question, however.
  • Chris AllenChris Allen
    Angela: Masses for the feast days of most saints in the Universal Calendar have specific propers given in the Graduale Romanum; the Divine Office has a parallel set of propers. But let's say you want to pray the Office for a saint who isn't listed in the Universal Calendar (e.g. Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha, whose memorial is obligatory in the US). That's where the commons come in--more-or-less standardized propers for various general categories of celebrations. In the case of Bl Kateri's memorial, you'd pray the Office using the Common of Virgins; there are also commons for the Blessed Virgin Mary, apostles, martyrs, and so on.
  • I'm certain that, since they did the pointing, that it would be copyright.

They would have the option of waiving copyright, but based upon the fact that they had you apply for permission for the music, I'm quite sure that the pointing would be restricted.

But, maybe they are enlightened?
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    Well, the thing about traditional copyright is that it means that it cannot be copied. If it were copyright, no one else could similarly point the Psalms in that way for 100 years or so. That is not the case here, which is why I say that it is not copyright protected. Now, the typesetting or some such might be. But not the pointing itself.