HYMN OF THE MONTH – March: God of Mercy and Compassion
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    As part of my series on Catholic hymns, I have chosen a hymn that was written by a Redemptorist Priest. He was a missionary in England, Scotland, Australia, New Zealand, and was affectionately known by his fellow companions as the grand old chief.

Please take a few moments to read about this wonderful hymn asking for God’s mercy and compassion. Please visit my website Mother of Mercy Catholic Hymns and click on HYMN OF THE MONTH.

https://www.motherofmercycatholichymns.com/god-of-mercy-and-compassion/
  • MatthewRoth
    "Au Sang Qu’un Dieu" is one of my favorite tunes, but ironically, it's not even the most common tune, as far as I can tell (well, that's if the Schola Sainte-Cécile is representative) for the French text of the same name.
  • ViolaViola
    We use this hymn a lot during Lent, using the Pergolesi tune and the original text. The congregation joins in with gusto, but, alas! most modern hymnbooks can't cope with the very forthright words. Most of them tone it down to an unrecognisable state. E.g. this absolute travesty:
    God of mercy and compassion, Lord of life and blinding light,
    truth whom creatures would refashion, place on us the gift of sight.
    Truth insistent and demanding, love resented and ignored,
    Life beyond all understanding, give us peace and pardon, Lord.
    No mention of the consequences of sin, or anything at all disquieting or unsettling.
    Thanked by 2MatthewRoth CHGiffen
  • ServiamScores
    Viola, I have never seen the verse you mention, but I like it.

We sing this every year to the Pergolesi tune. We also do “man of sorrows, wrapt in grief” and “stricken, smitten, and afflicted” to the same tune.
  • PhilipPowell
    We sang this this morning to the great Pergolesi tune during the postcommunion - always a big hit for choir and congregation.
    Thanked by 1Don9of11
  • I've had this tune stuck in my head for two weeks. Heard it first on the "Lent at Ephesus" CD. I couldn't find a setting of it, so I typed it out.

Is this the harmonization for "Au Sang Qu’un Dieu" that you have in your copies/hymnals?

Also, the text I set was the one found on hymnary.org I think. I didn't see other versions.
  • never mind, I got the the bottom of your article to find it reprinted by Noel Jones with the French tune. I wish I had found this before typing it out myself! Thanks for all the information, and thank you to Noel Jones for the lovely typesetting.
    Thanked by 1Don9of11
  • mmeladirectress
    Just my $0.02, but I’ve never liked “Man of Sorrows Wrapt in Grief”. Every time I get to “whither Thou full oft wouldst go” I just cringe.
    Give me “God of Mercy and Compassion” (Pergolesi) and “Parce, Domine”.
  • ViolaViola
    The harmony shared is the one we use, and in the same key. I think it's the best; simple for singers, a good key for the congregation, and obeys the rules of harmony! There are others, notably a rather strange one in the St Andrew Hymnal, formerly used in Scotland.
  • Thanks a lot, you guys. The mention of "Au Sang Qu'un Dieu" has me now saddled with the earworm of that voice-class standard, "Que ne suis-je la fougere."
    Thanked by 1Don9of11