G. Simplex question
  • In the G. Simplex, what are the notes that look like whole notes in modern notation? We are doing the chant for imposition of ashes on p. 86 as an example - near the end of verse 1, the last words are "cordiam tuam" with a "whole note" in between the words - does this note go at the end of cordiam or at the beginning of tuam? Also, is the note one count?
  • New DOM,

An "empty" neume most often stands for a note that may have one or more syllables or words sung to it....common in the chanting of psalm tones, in which each line has one of these...then followed by a simple melodic formula at the end of the line that does match the syllables to be sung.

I do not have a G. Simplex at hand, so I cannot give you a more accurate answer....hopefully someone will.

But best wishes to a self-proclaimed New DOM....we were all there once, and it sounds as if you may well be on the right track.

noel at sjnmusic.com
  • New DOM,

I had some difficulty with the interpretation of the chant for "Blessing and Imposition of Ashes" chant from BFW.

If you go to the discussion called, "BFW Ash Wednesday Communion Psalm", you'll find a nice explanation from Dr. Ford on how to interpret the chant.

I stupidly identified the chant in question as the "Communion Psalm", but was actually talking about the communion psalm.

Check out the thread, it might help.
  • Thanks for the comments. I've been thinking about it tonight, and it appears as though it is used if needed (for example at the end of v. 3 - "munda me") and ignored if not (at the end of verse 1 - "tuam"). Is this correct, or is it used all the time?
  • New DOM,

Spot-on. In the case of "mun-da me", the open neume (looks like an empty box) is sung on the first syllable "mun", the clivus (two notes on one syllable) is sung on "da" and "me" is sung on the final punctum. A similar example is verse 14: "confirma", "fir" is sung on the open neume, "ma" on the clivus, "me" on the final punctum.

In verse one, "tuam" ignores the open neume, singing "tu" on the clivus and "am" on the final punctum.

I highly recommend (and please don't read any implications in the title) Arlene Oost-Zinner and Jeffrey Tucker's wonderful monograph, "An Idiot's Guide to Square Notes". It's a .pdf and available through a link bearing that title on the main CMAA webpage.
  • I got a copy of the Simplex. But it wasn't instead it was a translation of the Latin into English. Valuable though, for it explains the usage of the book....not intended to replace the Graduale Romanum, but should be used interchangeably when necessary. Am working on getting a scan of the instructions.