Plainsong Chant Rosary?
  • Ken of Sarum
    Does anyone know of the Rosary set to Plainsong Chant or set to the Psalm Tones? If this has not been done, would this be a good idea? What do you think?
  • Richard R.
    Here's an old and very simple setting of mine. Print pages two-sided to make a two-sheet booklet. Let me know about egregious errors.
    Thanked by 1Bri
  • mjballoumjballou
    That's quite accessible and lovely, Richard. I believe Aristotle had one up on The Recovering Choir Director as well at some point in the past.

I prefer chanting to speaking any day. The trick is a leader who keeps things moving at a nice steady pace.
  • Ken of Sarum
    Richard - Thank you so very much! It indeed looks beautiful and easy for any congregation. I have been toying with the idea of setting the Rosary to several settings both in English and Latin; 1) simple (much like yours) 2) moderate in complexity and 3) full Gregorian and or Sarum plainsong chant which could be done antiphonally.

I have found and looked over the one from the Recovering Choir Director. I think it is interesting and helpful as well with one or two small errors. I think it is a little awkward to sing though.

I also found one online from a priest in Latin and it is complex and, well, unusual. It will require more study from myself.

Being that I am Anglican - Catholic, I created for my personal use, an Anglican version wherein upon starting, I use the Magnificat when I reach the Marian medal. In the morning, at the end I add this prayer from Cardinal Newman:

O Mother of Jesus, and my Mother, let me dwell with you,
    cling to you and love you with ever-increasing love.
    I promise the honour, love and trust of a child.
    Give me a mother's protection, for I need your watchful care.
    You know better than any other the thoughts and desires of the Sacred Heart.
    Keep constantly before my mind the same thoughts, the same desires,
    that my heart may be filled with zeal for the interests of the Sacred Heart of your Divine Son.
    Instill in me a love of all that is noble, that I may no longer be easily turned to selfishness.
    Help me, dearest Mother, to acquire the virtues that God wants of me:
    to forget myself always, to work solely for him, without fear of sacrifice.
    I shall always rely on your help to be what Jesus wants me to be.
    I am his; I am yours, my good Mother!
    Give me each day your holy and maternal blessing until my last evening on earth,
    when your Immaculate Heart will present me to the heart of Jesus in heaven,
    there to love and bless you and your divine Son for all eternity.

At night before sleep, I add the Nunc dimittis and this evening prayer from Cardinal John Newman at the very end:
    O LORD, support us all the day long, until the shadows lengthen and the evening comes,
    and the busy world is hushed, and the fever of life is over, and our work is done.
    Then in thy mercy grant us a safe lodging, and a holy rest, and peace at the last. Amen.