• While it's sort of amazing that four list members live and work with shouting distance of each other on the list here in the Knoxville, TN area, it is also interesting that all four of us are conservative musically in one way or another and are all also quite different musically.

Two are mainly singers, two mainly organists, I believe.

Any other close groups like this in your area?
  • CharlesW
    Noel, I have to confess I have wondered if our names are mud in the more liberal churches in the area. I wonder if any of our pictures are on a local NPM dart board, or worse. ;-)
  • Donnaswan
    My lips are sealed. But some time we should get together and trade stories!

Donna
  • CharlesW
    We need to get with Mary and set up a local CMAA meeting.
  • Hard to find a restaurant where four can sit with their backs to the door.

Had a run in with a former Miss Tennessee the other day who says she sings the late Mass at John 23rd and has never heard of their music director! She was NOT PLEASED to be blocked from singing the Lord's Prayer at a wedding Mass.
  • CharlesW
    I have never heard of their music director, either. I have never been in that building and don't know who is there. I let someone else do weddings, so I neither know nor care what they sing. The pastor can handle it.
  • marymezzomarymezzo
    Mary here: mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

yes, we need a chapter meeting. I've been meaning to set one up for months now . . .
  • GavinGavin
    Interestingly, the first organists I met as a young(er) organist were all 40+. Then I moved across the state. Now that I'm living back on the east side of my state, all my friends (save David) are students at the local conservatory. In fact, every church on the same road as mine has a music director in his 20s...
  • CharlesW
    We generally have organists in this part of the world because there are 5 colleges and universities within 30 miles or so that have organ departments. I do remember, though, that when I studied I happened to be the only organ major on campus those years. I believe there are more students now, but the instrument doesn't pull students in like it used to.
  • Donnaswan
    I rather think the organ dept at our local Uni is moribund. But it is impressive how many really, really fine organists we have here in this medium -sized city. Unfortunately, they are not in the Roman Cath. churches. Not to mention really, really fine organs, none of which are in RC Churches.
    Sad.

Donna
  • GavinGavin
    In TN? 5 Colleges with organ programs? Which ones? I might have to look into that for grad school, I have family in Nashville and love it (except for the country music piped everywhere)
  • CharlesW
    I agree. The organ department at the university is stuck somewhere in North Germany with Arp Schnitger and his shrieking trackers. The head of the dept. is excellent with that type of instrument and the music of that period, but not so great with anything else. He's Lutheran, too. Maybe that has something to do with his preferences.

I have the only pipe instrument in the RC churches in the city, and it's small and limited. However, I have heard much worse and do what I can with its limited resources. The fact that it is in an acoustically perfect space helps overcome some of its drawbacks. But it's no surprise that the best instruments are in the churches that also pay the best salaries.
  • CharlesW
    Gavin, there are 5 colleges in the Knoxville area with organ departments, ranging from a two-year college to the university which would be the only one with a graduate program. But see my reply to Donna for the type of music you would be studying at U.T. Nashville would have better resources, but I am not as familiar with the colleges there other than Vanderbilt and the Baptist school, Belmont.
  • Donnaswan
    Charles, You do know the aforementioned prof has retired from his own church and is assisting at a very fine church about 1000 yards from mine? :) He may still be at UT, though. And you are very lucky to be in the most beautiful Catholic Church in our area with a pipe organ!

Donna
  • CharlesW
    Donna, I know he is the music assistant/organist at the Episcopal church across the street from you. By the way, he is someone I have always liked, personally. He's a good man. He is still at UT playing and teaching on the shrieking tracker of recent installation.

Thanks for the comments on the church, since it is truly beautiful. Unfortunately, during the late 90s rebuild of the organ, we had "Tim the Baptist/Catholic convert" as organist. He was responsible for the organ deviating from its original tonal design. I had some minor revoicing done on the organ last year to soften the hideous Great "Mixture en Chamade," but the instrument does need complete revoicing. Oh well, when I win the lottery... LOL.