[Online Lecture Feb 10] Sing with Mary: Marian Antiphons under the Magnifying Glass
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    Sing with Mary: Marian Antiphons under the Magnifying Glass
    Where do these antiphons come from? Where do they belong? And where else can they enrich our worship experience?

​60-minute live, online lecture followed by Q and A
    by Dr. Horst Buchholz, Vice President of the Church Music Association of America

​Most people who know at least a little Gregorian chant have heard of the Salve Regina (Hail, Holy Queen prayer). Salve Regina is, in fact, just one of four Marian antiphons (the other three are Alma Redemptoris Mater, Ave Regina Caelorum, and Regina Caeli). These seasonal antiphons are loving prayers by which a singer entrusts oneself to the motherly care of Mary, and play a key role in the daily prayer of the Church.

The Marian antiphons may be sung by anyone. Repetition through an entire season lends them to congregational participation with ease. Untrained singers find comfort in the simple tone chants, and religious communities savor their solemn tone versions on special feasts. The antiphon texts have been set to brilliant compositions by musical giants such as Mozart and Palestrina, and continue to inspire composers today.

Saturday, February 10, 2024 at 10:00 am, USA Central Time Zone (GMT - 6)

Register: www.chantacademy.com/lecture-series
    3375 x 3375 - 2M
    Thanked by 1DCM
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    Good day! Bumping this post for those who missed it. This lecture will be happening in one week. I also have it on good authority that an overview of polyphonic settings of the Marian antiphons will also be included.
  • igneusigneus
    ... and religious communities savor their solemn tone versions on special feasts.

It's the standard / default / originally the one and only tone, not a solemn tone.
  • $175 USD for a 60 minute on-line lecture. Hmm.
    Thanked by 3tomjaw francis LauraKaz
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    @PaxMelodious I appreciate the thought, but what you say is not quite accurate. There is a live Q and A at the end (which comes after the 60 minute lecture). The amount of prep that goes into these lectures is intense, and there are numerous collaborative resources which are shared. Church musicians are notorious for asking less than they deserve, but the laborer *does* deserve his wages, and we are still only just making ends meet.

Please don't put down those of us who desire to work for the betterment of sacred music but can't afford to do it for free.
  • francis
    AngelaR

I suppose it seems steep to me also, for the kind of general information that is being shared, hence why I also think it is a bit much for a 60 minute zoom lecture, even if it has a QA.
    Thanked by 2LauraKaz tomjaw
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    @francis again, I appreciate the thought, but the laborer deserves his wages, and Dr. Buchholz puts a good deal of time into preparing these lectures. Those who enroll find them well worth the investment.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • francis
    This has nothing to do with the person giving the lecture. It's simply monetary value compared to the information presented.

This is simply a marketing suggestion. If ten people are attending a one hour seminar with questions, the presenter is making near $2000 an hour. Another approach would be to scale the amount of fee depending on the number of people attending with a minimum attendance. I hope this is a help to your efforts. A more typical fee for an online lecture like this might be $25-$50.
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    @francis, forgive me if this seems obvious, but you haven't attended the lecture, and you don't know what will be presented. You are always welcome to host an event of this caliber yourself and charge as you wish for it.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • francis
    You are absolutely correct about that assumption. I’m just trying to help you with your marketing efforts. Thanks for your response.
  • lmassery
    I’ve paid for one of Angela’s sessions before and feel it was well worth the investment.
    Thanked by 2AngelaR francis
  • AriasitaAriasita
    I don’t think that @AngelaR needs any marketing assistance, @francis.
  • francis
    The main objective I was trying to point out was to reach more people. You can have less people with higher dollars but you can make the same amount of money with a greater number of attendees at a lower fee. that's all. TTFN