Spirit of Vatican II Hymn Written By ChatGPT
  • I thought this might be entertaining! I asked ChatGPT to write me a song in the style of the Spirit of Vatican II. :

Can you write a song in the style of the Spirit of Vatican II?

Certainly! Here's a song inspired by the Spirit of Vatican II, focusing on themes of unity, love, and embracing the modern world:

Title: "Harmony of Hearts"

(Verse 1)
    In the spirit of Vatican II, we gather here as one,
    A family united, under the radiant sun.
    Breaking down the walls, that once kept us apart,
    We're singing songs of love, a harmony of hearts.

(Chorus)
    Oh, let the Spirit guide us, in this journey we share,
    In the dance of life, we find our common prayer.
    Hand in hand, together we stand,
    Building bridges of love across the land.

(Verse 2)
    Embracing the call to love, beyond what we have known,
    In the language of the heart, seeds of compassion are sown.
    With open minds and open doors, we welcome all who come,
    A symphony of voices, together we become.

(Chorus)

(Bridge)
    Breaking through the shadows, embracing the light,
    In the Spirit's presence, we find our common sight.
    No judgment, no division, just love that's true,
    In the Spirit of Vatican II, we're made anew.

(Verse 3)
    A table set for everyone, a feast of unity,
    Sharing bread and wine, in joyful harmony.
    No longer strangers, but sisters and brothers,
    Bound by a love that surpasses all others.

(Chorus)

(Outro)
    With hearts aflame, in unity we sing,
    In the Spirit of Vatican II, let love's symphony ring.

How did it do?

Thanked by 1Carol
  • MarkB
    That's eerily authentic in construction. Reads like Sarah Hart lyrics. All of OCP's artists can be replaced by ChatOCP now.

No mention of God or Christ, vague references to the "Spirit," frequent invocations of "love," mention of "bread and wine" as well as "table," all about unity and diversity without being specifically Catholic or about Catholic faith.

The OCP editors would drool over this and publish it immediately. They've published much worse. Plenty of mind numb parish music directors would program this to be sung at Mass if it had OCP's stamp of approval and appeared as a suggestion for next Sunday.
  • Haha yeah I had a similar reaction to it!

mention of "bread and wine" as well as "table,"

This aspect of it it was soooo spot on. It's a pet peeve of mine that OCP/GIA communion songs constantly talk about bread, wine, a table, and a meal, while not discussing the Real Presence, the altar, and the sacrifice.

I think that something like 90% of the communion songs in OCP/GIA hymnals, at least of the ones written post-1965, implicitly deny the Real Presence by *only* discussing "bread" and the "wine." Somehow ChatGPT appears to know this. Maybe the Gather hymnal is in its training data!

The Eucharist is first and foremost a sacrifice offered upon an altar and is only a meal served at a table as a consequence of the fact that Christ, the victim and the priest, gives His Body and Blood offered in the sacrifice on the altar to be our food for a supernatural feast. And again, 90+% of post-Vatican II OCP/GIA communion songs at least implicitly deny this by talking *only* about a meal and a table.

So sadly ChatGPT seems to be spot on!
    Thanked by 3LauraKaz tomjaw Carol
  • ServiamScores
    Bread/Wine/Table is what jumped out to me immediately as well.

The whole thing is so grossly perfect. I shudder to think what a few modern composers would do with this. They’d chomp at the bit to set this.
  • francis
    Oh my, should I write music for this? The melody is just sappily frolicking in my mind. And of course wouldn’t you know it’s in 6/8 time. And the chords of course are D, G and A7.

The only thing that makes me hesitate is that it could go virus… (oh wait… maybe “viral” is the right term)
  • LauraKaz
    And of course wouldn’t you know it’s in 6/8 time.

I was thinking more 4/4 with a heavy dose of syncopation...but similar chords!!
  • ServiamScores
    If you set this, I DEMAND that every verse have a different rhythm. I will categorically reject anything less.
  • TCJ
    You also need numerous 4 measure lyric breaks for indiscriminate guitar strumming.
  • Don't forget the key change where you shift up a half step!
  • LauraKaz
    Don't forget the key change where you shift up a half step!

It's even better if it happens twice!!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I shudder to think what a few modern composers would do with this. They’d chomp at the bit to set this.
    How about setting it on fire?
  • Move over, “Sing a New Church”! You’ve been replaced! (Also, in this month’s liturgy guide, we want to remind you: have you bought enough copies of the 2024 Respond & Acclaim?)
    Thanked by 2ServiamScores Carol
  • TCJ
    How about setting it on fire?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRhRhGIWqQA
  • Liam
    Next challenge: Assign it a meter (as well its poetic metre) and tune name.
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • francis
    Writing music

I thought about it... truly I did... but then after I thought a bit more, it became apparent that I have already wasted too much time and energy on the NO theology in my career. I am with Charles... burn it. I have composed parodies here and there, but this is not even a parody worth contemplating. Criminals like attention, no matter how it comes... give it none.
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • The shame in this parody is that a probable hefty majority of US Catholics would fail to see the humour in it, but would think it a nice song to add to their repertory of theologically vacant drivel.

Oh, and Serviam is spot on! -
    A different 'catch me if you can' rhythmic treatment for each stanza is de rigeurer.
  • francis
    MJO

Yes… that’s why I was alluding to a virus that we do not want to create. ;) however, when I began forming it in my mind it was a blend of Eagles wings, Here I am Lord, be not afraid and gather us in.
    Thanked by 2DavidOLGC Carol
  • ServiamScores
    The worst part? Since it’s done by AI, it is not (currently) copyrightable, and so any of the publishers could all make a version. Shall we take bets on how long it is until we see this text set and published?
  • Liam
    I would suggest that the phrase "Spirit of Vatican II" is more well known here than among most Catholics in the pews.
    Thanked by 3LauraKaz CHGiffen Carol
  • francis
    Serviam

Couldn’t one of us just take it and copywrite it ourselves? And then we could charge magnanimous amounts of money to anybody that wants to use it and give the proceeds to one of the bishops who got canceled.
  • CharlesW
    Drums. It definitely needs drums - or maybe peace bongos?
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • francis
    better yet, a Djembe solo in the middle just like inagodadavida

https://youtu.be/lSttPLaTx_M?si=1w8SrmKjz1LvCCy0

hmmm... the organ part at the end may be too churchy for v2
    Thanked by 3CharlesW CHGiffen Carol
  • somewhere between scary and sad. Remember the old novelty song, "they're coming to take me away....."
  • Carol
    This is the funniest discussion I have seen here, EVER! Thank you all for the laughs. I think it needs to be in mixed meter or include several sets of triplets (to punch it up) or perhaps both!
    For a name tune, may I suggest TRAVESTY or HERESY?