Liturgy of the Hours Noted (?)
  • Does anyone here know of an English version of the Antiphonale Monasticum & the Liber Hymnarius? I have a chorister who wants the Liturgy of the Hours set to musical note.
  • I assume that you know The Monastic Diurnal Noted (W. Douglas for Episcopalian sisters of Peekskill). It's available as a reprint from Lancelot Andrewes Press, which I believe is run by Western Rite (Antiochian) Orthodox folks.
  • mjballoumjballou
    Thanks, Daniel. Now there are more books I want to buy. I'd completely forgotten about Winfred Douglas.

From what I could see, the typesetting is nice and clear. Here's a link for you English chant mavens: Monastic Diurnal Noted.

You'll also want to peruse the sample pages for the St. Dunstan's Plainsong Psalter and enjoy its introduction to Psalm chant.
  • MJBallou -
    St Dunstan's Plainsong Psalter is indeed the finest of any noted psalters now available. It has taken the place of the now out-of-print Plainsong Psalter and is better in at least one regard - it is printed in 'square notes'. Blunt's reprinted introduction remains for the most part good. The notes on how to sing plainchant are, however, quite dated, in part highly subjective, and without scholarly basis. It would have been an even better book had this decades-old material not been dug up and reprinted; or, had been replaced with up-to-date research. Still, it is a superb noted psalter which every Catholic should have.
  • MJB: You're most welcome. I'm always keen to abet others' biblio-truancy in an attempt to distract from my own!