Music Director, St. Thomas Aquinas Church, Zanesville, OH
  • St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Church, 144 N. 5th Street, Zanesville, Ohio (740-453-3301). Seeking full-time Director of Music knowledgeable in the Church’s tradition of Sacred Music and able to implement it in a parish environment (1,100 families). New music graduates knowledgeable in Catholic Sacred Music especially encouraged to apply. Responsibilities include: pipe organ (3 weekend Masses), adult choir, develop youth choir, funerals (with choir), weddings, holy days, weekly school Masses. Salary and benefits appropriate to small-town parish. Email résumé, references, and salary requirements to: Fr. Pius Pietrzyk, OP at vicar@aquinaszanesville.org or fax to (740) 453-0333. Complete job description available upon request.
  • Kathy
    As it happens, this parish is run by excellent young Dominican Fathers of my acquaintance. I would think that this is one of those rare opportunities in which a Tradition-minded musician could work with a dynamic, orthodox pastoral staff to make really great things happen!
  • orourkebr
    I wish I had more formal training, I would take this in a second...alas.
    Unless chant only is an option? :)
  • Do they ever celebrate the Extraordinary Form?
  • OlbashOlbash
    I too am acquainted with this priest and would imagine that the liturgy will be exquisite.
    The ad screams "low salary" though. So why not apply, even if your skills aren't up to snuff.
    If they can't attract experienced candidates, they might jump at the chance to hire a sincere, faithful, hardworking person who is committed to doing things right, even with limited resources.
  • I just received a very nice "reject" letter from Fr. Pius, the vicar in charge of the search. The position is evidently filled. Congratulations!
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I interviewed here and both of the priests I spoke with were clearly great, truly orthodox Dominicans. If I were ever unemployed and lived closer by, I'm sure I'd attend Mass there regularly. The organ was very nice, the stained glass in the Church was amazing and I can't see anything but great homilies coming out of the two I met. All the best to them with their new employee - mjm
  • Thank you for the kind comments. Yes, this position is filled. My apologies for the delay in updating this post. I was frankly impressed with the number and quality of the resumes we received. That made our decision more difficult than I thought it would be. I am glad that the parish will now have a professionally trained Music Director who can help lead the people to worship the way the Church intends it to be done. Continue to pray for those who work so hard to bring quality liturgical music to our parishes.

Fr. Pius, OP