• Kathy
    All Four Pending Liturgical Items Pass; Work On The Translation Of The New Roman Missal Continues

WASHINGTON—All four liturgical item actions whose votes were inconclusive at the June general assembly of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops are now approved. Support for the action items continues the work for the English translation of the new Roman Missal for use in the United States.

The deadline for the submission of ballots was July 16. These items require two-thirds (163) votes of Latin Church members for to pass, and subsequent recognition by the Holy See.

The translation of the Order of Mass II (of the Roman Missal) received 191 votes in favor, 25 against and five abstentions.

The translation of the Masses and Prayers for Various Needs and Intentions passed by 163 votes, while 53 bishops voted against it and five abstained.

The translation of the rituals for Votive Masses and Masses for the Dead passed 181 to 32 with two abstentions.

And the translation of the text for Ritual Masses received 186 votes in favor, 32 nays and two abstentions...

http://www.usccb.org/comm/archives/2009/09-159.shtml
  • CharlesW
    I read this earlier today. It is definitely a good sign. Things are looking up. :-)
  • It would be of interest to know who voted against it, aside from Troutman...it may be apocryphal, but I understand he blocked the local TLM by having a meeting over it at which he entered, began speaking and, when he finished, he asked what they thought about what he said....and they responded by saying they could not understand a word he said.

"That's because I was speaking Latin." was his punch line.

And gosh....absentions?
  • CharlesW
    Noel, that's "Troutperson." We'll have none of that patriarchal "man" stuff in our liberated church. ;-)
  • I have fond memories of working in Erie, PA....the locals call it the Mistake on the Lake....
  • Kathy
    Actually I think this is a cause for celebration. Te Deums all around!!
  • Kathy
    Some useful catechetical resources for making the transition: http://www.usccb.org/liturgy/missalformation/index.shtml
  • CharlesW
    Thanks, Kathy. A very good resource.

I had heard a rumor that the Vatican had had enough of the U.S. bishops endless wrangling over the translations. The story was that Rome intended to publish an English revised missal with or without the U.S. bishops. I can't know whether or not any of that is true, but something seems to have built a fire under them.