Church Documents - Importance of Sung Mass over Low Mass
  • I need recommendations for Church Documents discussing the importance of developing a parish culture which includes as many sung Masses as parish resources (i.e. any combination of cantors, choir, organist, altar servers, even # of priests at parish, etc.) allow.

This is in the context of a traditional Roman Rite parish (FSSP). Our current pastor does not seem to be very excited about increasing sung Masses. Currently, there are sung Masses only on every Sunday and Holy Day, except between Corpus Christi and Assumption. He mandates a choir break in that time. To illustrate that point, I gathered a few volunteers from the schola to sing the Mass for St. John the Baptist - a 1st Class Feast! - and asked Father if we could have a sung Mass. He denied us and insisted we take a break. This past summer, I attended a nearby Latin Mass that does not remove sung Masses during the summer.

Anyway, there are a number more details and thoughts I could share, but I am looking to find Church Documents, especially prior to Vatican II (although probably some post-Conciliar documents could be applied to the traditional Liturgy). All I know is that for the first millennium or more of the Church's existence, a not-sung liturgy would not have existed. To that end, I am not looking to demonize the Low Mass at all - rather, looking for resources that would support the idea and mindset that Low Masses are not the ideal and should be replaced with as many sung Masses as the parish's relevant resources would allow. I don't want to be too contradicting of our pastor, but would love to have some Church-backed thoughts and respectful reflections - in addition to my own heartfelt words about my love for the sung liturgy and chant of the church, and my desire to make that well available to others - to offer him when I finally speak to Father about this in the coming weeks. I am not the schola or choir director, but I do sing in the schola and am well respected amongst the schola and the director (and I substitute when director can't make it).

Thank you all in advance for any suggestions. A blessed and merry Christmas to you all!
  • Before delving into liturgical apologetics, it may be beneficial to uncover the reasons that inform your pastor's reticence about increasing the number of sung Masses, insistence on seasonal choir breaks, etc. That may help determine how best to approach him with the information you seek from others here (even though none has been posted as of yet).
  • At Walsingham (while this may or may not be of use to you in your present quandry) the rector-pastor wants all of our masses to be as festive as possible, which translates into a sung, incense, three or four servers, deacon (and maybe a Sub-Deacon too), and music at every mass, including Saturday anticipated, and six o'clock Sunday evening every week.

Regardless of which mass one references the people sing heartily their parts of the Merbecke ordinary with OSC Gloria while a cantor sings the propers*.
    Only the 11.15 Sunday and Solemnity high masses are more splendid.
    *A cantor in the Ordinariate is actually a cantor who sings the propers from P-B or the AUG and bears no resemblance to what is called a cantor at the average Catholic parish.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen LauraKaz
  • ...it may be beneficial to uncover the reasons that inform your pastor's reticence about increasing the number of sung Masses, insistence on seasonal choir breaks, etc. That may help determine how best to approach him...

Thank you for pointing this out - yes, I don't intend to just waltz up to him and present him with arguments. The first part of my meeting with him is indeed intended to find out more of his mindset and principles behind his directives for us.

M. Jackson Osborn, my impression is that the Ordinariate would generally be more "High Church," or in the language of my original post, more in favor of High Mass mentality over Low Mass, compared to your average Catholic parish. I don't even care if the people in pews sing heartily - I think that can be a good thing, but is difficult to build up to and has its drawbacks - I just think it would be great if priests could catechize their parishioners in a way that supports a sung liturgy mentality over a Low Mass mentality (even if practically speaking the latter will be the majority by default).
  • a_f_hawkins
    There is a Kwasniewski post on NLM here: https://www.newliturgicalmovement.org/2016/06/the-problem-of-dominant-low-mass-and.html#disqus_thread with an extensive discussion of the topic.

Changing the culture is a very long term project. Think about Benediction, and its chants. Look at what was said from TLS onward about school Masses.
    Note that the first edition of Graduale (and Kyriale) Simplex were designed for the 1965/2 Mass.
  • The topic of the importance of Sung Mass over Low Mass was taken up by proponents of the Liturgical Movement in the decades preceding Vatican II; see, for example, Dom Lambert Bauduin's 1945 talk "Sung Mass, summit of parish life". It is notable that he does not actually cite Church documents to support his thesis, but instead mainly builds upon historical and theological arguments, as well as the notion that the parish Mass should be understood as being the local emanation of the Pontifical Mass.

As far as Church documents go, a 1946 article on the celebration of Mass at Dachau concentration camp invokes the authority of the Fulda Conference (ie, German bishops' conference) in saying that "Solemn Mass being the standard Mass, the uniting of the faithful with Low Mass should be modelled as closely as possible on the way they are united with Sung Mass", but does not provide a reference for this.

Things really seem to pick up in the mid-1950s. In 1956, the French bishops published their Directoire pour la messe which states (art. 188): "The ideal celebration remains Sung Mass; Said Mass, commonly called 'Low Mass', should therefore progressively give the Christian assembly the understanding of and taste for Sung Mass." The 1958 Instruction De musica sacra et sacra liturgia states (art. 26): "It is desirable that on Sundays and feast days, the parish or principal Mass be a sung Mass." And finally, the 1967 instruction Musicam Sacram (art. 27): "For the celebration of the Eucharist with the people, especially on Sundays and feast days, a form of sung Mass (Missa in cantu) is to be preferred as much as possible, even several times on the same day."

I remember being told a good many years ago now that Mass should always be celebrated in as "high" a manner as practically possible, once again (as I recall) because of the notion that the local Mass, in a diocesan setting, is essentially an emanation of the cathedral Pontifical Mass on which it should be modelled; obviously, that argument does not apply as clearly to the FSSP as to diocesan priests.
  • I don't even care if the people in pews sing heartily - I think that can be a good thing, but is difficult to build up to and has its drawbacks

CharlesSA, I think what you're after is exactly right, that you should be pursuing the ideal of a sung liturgy. But according to musicam sacram and the notion of progressive solemnity, the most basic part of the Mass to be sung is dialogues between priest and people, minister and people, and the priestly orations. This is not only sound from a theological perspective but a practical one; it sacramentalizes the dialogue between Christ and his Church, and is the simplest, most repetitive music. It's actually imperative the people sing these things themselves, and in so many ways this should be the primary thing done in any parish setting. Even little rural parishes with no organist should be able to do simple dialogue chants, while those with more resources can add the ordinary and proper. The low mass experience/mentality that led to the people not saying/singing their own responses really was a distortion. The people singing their proper parts shouldn't ever be seen as optional.

So even if your choir takes time off, there should be no reason you can't still pursue sung liturgy with at least the most basic pieces. That being said, if you're in an FSSP parish then I'm not sure how much this would matter; I'm in a typical OF parish and I imagine the people singing is viewed differently. But that's my two cents, and musicam sacram is really the main authority at this point.
  • JDTJDT
    There is a book called “The Ceremonies of the Roman Rite Described” which provides some backup for what you’re trying to accomplish I believe. In the first paragraph of chapter 14 it says “…the sung liturgy is the norm for the Roman Rite and all departures from this norm are tolerated out of necessity;…”

I’m just beginning to read this myself, but thought I’d at least bring up the book. Good luck!
  • a_f_hawkins
    “The Ceremonies of the Roman Rite Described” is of course not an official document. And it has gone through numerous editions and several authors/editors, all of whom would agree with your quotation. But Fr Fortescue, the original author, did not dare to say that openly in 1918, because it was not the understanding of the constructors of the 1570 Missal. The most he ventured was Ch 6 - " ALTHOUGH High Mass, historically, is the original rite, so that Low Mass is really only a shortened form of that, nevertheless, in practice, the first thing a priest must learn is how to say Low Mass." The official view gradually shifted under the influence of the 'Liturgical Movement'.
    De musica sacra et sacra liturgia Cong. for Rites – Feast of Saint Pius X – 1955
    Musicae Sacrae Disciplina (Encyclical) Pope Pius XII – 1955
    Mediator Dei (Encyclical) Pope Pius XII –1947
    Mystici Corporis (Encyclical) Pope Pius XII– 1943
    Divini Cultus (Apostolic Constitution) Pope Pius XI– 1928
    Tra le Sollecitudini (motu proprio) Pope Saint Pius X –1903
    Not until VII had authorised changes to the Mass was there the 1965 revision to the rubrics, which does impilicitly accept the primacy of Solemn Mass.
  • CharlesSA
    That being said, if you're in an FSSP parish then I'm not sure how much this would matter; I'm in a typical OF parish and I imagine the people singing is viewed differently.

riverofthenorth, At our parish, people sing the parts of the Mass...but probably not everyone, and those that do sing don't very loudly. I don't have anything whatsoever, in principle, against the idea of the people in the pews singing anything that they can. My hesitation (which is what spurred my comment above, which was just a brief reaction to MJOsborn's comment) is really practical, which I'm not going to get into here. All I will add is that I also see something wrong with people in the pews being silent at a sung Mass. I was at a sung Latin Mass once, not my normal parish at the time, and I was flabbergasted that no one even sang an "Amen" or "et cum spiritu tuo." (I think it is a little bit different at this parish now, fyi...this was a while ago.)

This is not only sound from a theological perspective but a practical one; it sacramentalizes the dialogue between Christ and his Church, and is the simplest, most repetitive music. It's actually imperative the people sing these things themselves...

I don't think I disagree with you...but I think what you're saying is kind of why I made the original post. Is there any Church document that spells this out, specifically mentioning the sung Liturgy? Or are you just inferring this from the theology of Christ and His Church? I'm aware that, in accord with the developing Liturgical Movement, as V2 gets closer there is more of an acceptance of this idea in the documents, but was this idea present at all before Vatican II, and before the 19th century?

Again, I'm not saying that what you wrote is wrong just because I can't find it in an older Church document. I'm just trying to figure out that this conclusion you've drawn with regard to the theology of the sung Liturgy (dialogue between priest and people = between Christ and his Church, etc.) is more of a modern development or if it was clearly spelled out a long time ago.

Thank you especially to Didymus and a_f_hawkins for your responses. I found Dr. K's article very good, and the comments below were extremely interesting in terms of seeing some people's mindset and perspective on the matter.

I'm also aware that changing the mindset is a very long term goal. I just don't think it can happen if a given parish hardly ever even has a sung Mass at all outside of the bare minimum (and not even the bare minimum here, as there are two months in the summer with none). So my short term goal is to find the principles behind our pastor's practice, and to work with him to increase the number of sung Masses while also building up at least the schola's mindset also (which here won't be too difficult...we just need more of them!).
    Thanked by 2tomjaw CHGiffen
  • a_f_hawkins
    The idea of congregational vocal participation is certainly clear in, for example, Augustine and Ambrose. And there is the line in the Exsultet "et magnis populorum vocibus haec aula resultet". But most subsequent texts are written by monks for monks, or by precentors for cathedral choirs. And by the late 19th century a parish would typically only have one sung Mass a week, with a choir. The exception is that I recall mid-20th century authors remembering in their childhood peasants in Brittany, and near Florence, for example, knew and sang the Missa pro defunctis at funerals.