Catholic female religious order for classical musicians
  • Hey everyone,
    I am a professional violinist considering the religious life.
    My dream would be to be able to continue seriously doing music as a religious sister, for example by playing classical music in the context of the liturgy or giving concerts with the aim of evangelization. Ideally there would be sufficient time for daily individual practise (several hours) to maintain a good level of playing and a group of other professional musicians in the community with whom we could play together. It could also be connected to education and teaching.
    Being a religious community, the day would of course be centered around prayer: Holy Mass, Divine Office, mental prayer, Eucharistic adoration, the Rosary...
    Has anyone heard of a catholic religious order for women that is somewhat similar to what I have described? Or is such a congregation yet to be founded?
    Thank you for any input!
    Thanked by 1Bri
  • Prayers that you may find your dream.
  • JDTJDT
    Search for the Filiae Laboris Mariae in Minnesota and Wisconsin. Not specifically geared towards sacred music, however I know that many of them sing for their respective congregations. They are a fairly new order, but growing quickly. Prayers for you!
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Bri
  • I dont know of any order specifically dedicated to music but in that area I would say:

Dominicans of St Cecilia
    Servants of the Lord and the Virgin of Matara (Contemplative and Active Branches)
    Marian Sisters of Santa Rosa
    Sisters of Mary Mother of the Church

As a side note, I don't think you are going to find a congregation that sets aside several hours a day for that, especially in formation years. Most congregations have weekly choir practices for an hour or so. Those who are more professional for study purposes might have a few more hours given but typically that would'nt come until at least temporary profession because there is a priority in first forming candidates how to be a religious before taking on a field of their choice or pursuing personal studies.
    Thanked by 2LauraKaz Bri
  • Kathy
    Such a congregation has yet to be founded.
    Thanked by 1Bri
  • In the late 1980's a female violinist I knew entered Mother Angelica's convent in Alabama, and was encouraged to continue her music as a nun.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Bri
  • francis
    I often aspired to find something similar, and even thought of what it would be like to begin an 'order of catholic Levites'... so to speak. You would think the Benedictines would be the ones to do this... perhaps you should begin one yourself!
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen DavidOLGC
  • You would think...

or, you might find (or build) a home in the Ordinariate?
    Write to Bishop Lopes.
    Thanked by 1Anna_Bendiksen
  • francis
    Honest question, MJO

IMMHO... the English Mass is about to be altered by Rome... Does the Ordinariate subscribe to the rubrics of the NO or the VO? I am not sure how this will play out with validity if Magnum Principium goes into full force as is the present course of PF.

https://www.vatican.va/content/francesco/en/motu_proprio/documents/papa-francesco-motu-proprio_20170903_magnum-principium.html
  • You might look into the Benedictines of Mary, Queen of Apostles, situated in Gower, Missouri. Lovely group of ladies, who are very musically adept in singing the Office. Their current Mother Superior was formerly a cello student, so at the very least, she might be able to provide guidance.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw CHGiffen
  • a_f_hawkins
    francis - I don't think the Ordinariate has much to worry about while it's bishop is chairman of the USCCB's Committee on Divine Worship, particularly as he was in charge of the development of the rite while working in the Vatican.
  • francis
    Who was it who was in charge?
  • tomjaw
    Is not the Ordinarite Missal the Missal of Pope Francis?
  • Thank you very much to everyone for your advice, I will check out the communities you mentioned!
  • tomjaw...

No the Ordinariate Missal, while ultimately approved and issued by Pope Francis is a sort-of hybrid of the pre-Novus Ordo '65
    Missal, old Sarum usage, and "Rite I" of the Anglicans.

Gaudete in Domino Semper!
    Thanked by 1a_f_hawkins
  • francis
    approved and issued by Pope Francis

Let's see how things spin out...
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • tomjaw
    @RMSawicki
    The Missal of St. Pius V and Missal of John XXIII(b), were not written by those Popes either. Using the naming convention would be that the Ordinariate Missal, would be the Missal of Pope Francis.
  • Let's see how things spin out...

Is this an expression of doubt concerning the longevity of the Ordinariate missal?
  • a_f_hawkins
    Divine Worship: the Missal is careful to start with the 399 paragraphs of GIRM, before adding a Rubrical Directory of 49 paragraphs. These latter, with the Order of Mass, restore the Prayers at the Foot of the Altar (optionally), move the Penitential Rite to after the Intercessions, restore the medieval Offertory prayers (optionally), restore the Last Gospel (optionally). Also during the liturgy of the Eucharist, the words directed to the congregation (eg Pray, brethren, ...) are introduced by "turning towards the people" rather than "facing the people", giving an implicit steer to ad orientem. Several other options are simply omitted (only the Roman Canon, compulsory on Sundays and Solemnities, and Bouyer's 'dewfall'), no freely composed Intercessions, ...
    Thanked by 2trentonjconn tomjaw
  • francis
    Is this an expression of doubt concerning the longevity of the Ordinariate missal?
    It is much more grave than that.
  • tomjaw:

Fair enough. I've been known to occasionally, with a good-natured grin, refer to the 2002/08 Missale Romanum as the "Pauline-Johannine-Pauline Missal".
    ;-)

Gaudete in Domino Semper!
    Thanked by 1tomjaw