Seeking edition of Ave Maris Stella
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    In college I acquired a very bad copy of a handwritten Ave Maris Stella written for 2 voices a capella, which I believe alternates verses with plainchant. Does this sound familiar to anyone, and if so, might there be a place where I can acquire a better version?
  • JDE
    If you send it to me, I can transcribe it. I redid some of the typesetting for the colloquium packet -- namely Laetatus Sum, Ecce Sacerdos, Vere Languores. Seems like maybe there were more pieces.
  • mjballoumjballou
    This sounds interesting to me. My schola sings the Ave maris stella every month at vespers of the BVM and I'd love something like this to provide a contrast.
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    You would transcribe it? That would be marvelous! It isn't really that long, and only two parts, so I don't think it would take too long. Where can I send it? (We will probably be performing it on August 14, and so we will be starting to practice it very soon.
  • Angela,

Scan it and post the PDF here; I’ll bet you’ve have someone willing to transcribe it PDQ.
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    Okay. I'll find a scanner and try to post it this weekend.
  • JDE
    Yes, I'd be happy to take care of that for you.
  • JDE
    Angela,

sorry, I forgot I had left my E-mail address invisible. That's fixed now. Just click on my name and it's on my profile.
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    Yay! Yurodivi, you did a beautiful job.
  • JDE
    Here you go. Thanks for the compliments.

After looking at it more closely, I think it could also work with men's voices on Part II and trebles above, but it definitely works for all trebles.
  • Hello! I'm new to the forum. My women's chorus will be performing Ave Maris Stella on a concert in December, with the 2-part setting referenced in this thread sung by a small group on even-numbered verses. I'm looking for any information on the composer of this setting, century, etc., if anyone has it. Must write my program notes this week! Thanks very much!
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    Hi Meagan,

Unfortunately, I have absolutely no information on the piece. I sent Yurodivi the sheet music, and am amazed at what a fine job he did re-setting it. There was no composer on my original, nor any other information. I swiped it from the archives at Thomas Aquinas College in California years ago; if you call there perhaps you can get more information from Dan Grimm, the choir director? Sorry I can't be of more help.

Angela
  • Thank you, Angela! I will see if I can find out more through the Thomas Aquinas College route. I appreciate the lead (and the music!)

Thanks!
    Meagan