Christmas participation
  • not a rant, but I am hoping to open a discussion about singers' absence during the great feasts - not usually Holy Week or Easter, but more often Corpus Christi, and especially at Christmas.

Most of the people who live here are fine with singing on the feast days.
    For those who are not....
    at one end of the scale, some singers who have out-of-town families make arrangements to travel on Christmas Day, after the Day Mass.
    at the other end, some announce they will be taking [work] vacation at Christmas, which means they will not be here for Christmas Eve or for Christmas Day.
    One local has asked me to decide if i want them (pardon the pronoun) to sing at the Christmas Midnight Mass, which includes an hour prior to the Mass, or at the Day Mass, because it won't be both - "too tiring".

I reflected that Father might be tired at the end of Christmas Day too, having given us all that, and a dawn Mass as well.
    Every member of the choir has taken some time off during the year - we still support sung Masses right through summer - so it's not that they are completely burned out. But we are a very small choir, and it doesn't take many absences to impact both chant and polyphony.

We have always had a few 'choir rules' but they do not address this. I'm wondering if others on this forum have this kind of experience, and might give some ideas on what if anything can be done about it. For the future, i see that I will need to make potential new singers understand how much their participation is truly needed for the greater feast days.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Don9of11
    Thanked by 1mmeladirectress
  • MarkB
    It's not just on Christmas or during vacation periods; choir attendance has slackened over the past two years. I have responded by simplifying the music we sing and lowering my sights. Lots more unison chanting, which is actually fine with me, and heavy reliance on familiar traditional hymns and some familiar, carefully culled OCP songs. (St. Louis Jesuits have been retired.)

They are volunteer singers. They sing at their pleasure. Very few of them are church mice, most of them have busy lives, and their families are their top priority, not the parish choir.

I don't begrudge people who miss practice or a Sunday because they are busy with work or family obligations or who take vacations, even on holidays, and I tell them that whenever they say they will be missing a practice or some Sundays. I cheerfully tell them to enjoy their trips or their time with friends or family.

My parish choir is far from the most important thing in the world or even in my diocese, not even the most important thing in my choir members' lives.

I have a roster of 38 choir members, and my two best-attended Masses have sixteen and eight people in the choirs at those Mass times. That should be enough to sing some very good and nice music, but the unreliable and unpredictable attendance at rehearsals makes it impossible to learn and practice complicated pieces together.

I've accepted that the choir will be this way. Considering the struggles my neighboring parish music directors are having just getting people to join choir, I'm sort of sitting pretty.

My attendance policy is casual. I have decided that's the best way to handle the volunteers I have. That's the way it is. No use fretting about it.
  • davido
    I am surprised you would ask choir members to do more than one Christmas mass. Maybe attend the second on a volunteer basis, but asking people to volunteer to sing at more than one mass per feast is a big event in my opinion. Either my choristers are old, and I am concerned it will be too much for them, or they are young with families and aren’t going to spend all day in church.
    Especially on Christmas, when there is so much travel and so many family traditions.
  • Liam
    Corpus Christi typically falls around the beginning of vacation season after the end of the school year, so I am not surprised if it attendance lags, especially if CC falls in the second half of June. The more your choir is comprised of members with children, the more likely that may be.

Unless your choir is blessed to be full of members who are hosts of principal Christmas gatherings, you're generally out of luck these days in any urban or suburban area where many folks live more than an hour or two away from their families who are hosting principal Christmas gathering. "I won't be seeing you, Mom and Dad, et cet., on Christmas Eve/Day, because I will be singing the Masses" is not something many volunteer choristers will persevere in. (I was one who did back in the day, but I know I was unusual in that regard, and my parents happened not to mind, but I changed my practice as they got became elderly and frailer.)

The most you can do is (1) ask for commitments in advance, and (2) adjust programming to reflect reduced forces.

Fortunately, I was never in a parish where I needed to sing Midnight Mass (I have never been to one, have no desire to attend one - I've always cherished Mass on Christmas morning), because I would never have sung at that Mass. (My body is used to sleeping from 8PM to 4AM for decades, so even if awake my voice is worthless because it's in the middle of its upper respiratory congestion cycle in the middle of that period. No one would want me to sing at that hour. I am also asleep when the New Year is rung in by others. My voice would likewise degrade over the course of Easter Vigils the later they ran.)

For choirs that are significantly reduced in numbers at Christmas, I would suggest making Epiphany more the focus of amplified choral splendors. Instead of Christmas starting off with a bang followed by a fade, the liturgical music energy builds up while the secular world has moved on from Christmas; there's some good witness in that.

• On this topic, do you guys expect volunteer choristers to sing both the Easter Vigil and Easter Sunday? If not, which one do you push? Which one does your employer push?
  • MarkB
    I leave it entirely up to the choir members to choose which Masses to sing at on regular Sundays and on holy days of obligation. If they want to sing at the Vigil and not on Easter Sunday, fine. Vice-versa? Fine. If they want to sing at both, great. I don't pressure anyone about attending or singing at anything. I provide the schedule, I provide a list of the music, I hold rehearsals, and I ask people to RSVP for the special Masses so I have an idea who is going to be there. But I leave it to the choir members to decide when they will sing. No pressure, no cajoling, no begging. They are volunteers and they are adults (well, except a few high schoolers), and I respect their time and their freedom.

My pastor doesn't pressure me nor the choir members in any way about attendance at anything.

I'm also of the opinion that it's a waste of time and effort to "go big" for Christmas and Easter, preparing months in advance. I keep it quite simple and easily manageable, and most of the music I program is singable by the assembly and familiar.
  • My home parish MD would typically have the choir do Christmas Mass During the Night (and that has typically been ‘Midnight Mass’ in these parts). It has always been decently attended by the choir members.

Christmas is one of those things that’s hard to round up everyone at the same Mass. Many people have different obligations on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Christmas Eve is a big celebration for many, and that might mean they can attend Mass more easily on Christmas Day and vice-versa. It all just depends.

The choir has sometimes doubled-up for special holidays, but that was at the sole discretion of the choir members. Usually a vote was taken to see how many would be interested.

I think it’s a good idea to encourage participation, but if it’s a fully-volunteer choir, you can’t really make anyone do anything.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I’m starting a new job in a few weeks. I’m told attendance at the parish in general on Christmas is significantly reduced from a normal weekend, due to people traveling “home” to be with family. So I’m just planning on traditional carols, chant, French organ repertoire, and (if I have enough choir members) some simple choral music.

You figure out the cards you’ve been dealt and then make the best poker hand you can with it. Would I love to do the Charpentier Mass again? Sure. But I’m not going to try to force it where it shouldn’t organically happen.
  • GambaGamba
    At the beginning of the choir year, I gave out a schedule of non-Sunday-morning liturgies with dates and times and asked for everyone to look at their calendars and report back whether they’d be around on Christmas, Holy Week, Pentecost/Trinity/Corpus Christi, explaining that this would help me plan and we couldn’t do the Hallelujah Chorus or some other Most Favourite Awesome Traditional Song We Always Do if all the basses were going to be away on Christmas. People got it and came back next week with a list of planned absences. I also had some sort of party after Midnight Mass and Easter Vigil, with at minimum Prosecco and various sweets, so it was a nice and valued way to celebrate the holiday for a group who saw each other 2x/week. That said, the Masses on Christmas Day were all organ or organ/cantor; choir was done after Midnight Mass.
  • …I’m not going to try to force it where it shouldn’t organically happen.

This should be framed on the walls of our offices…
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    I have only called the choir for Christmas Eve during my time as a music director. This has never been an issue. Folks who wanted to show up on Christmas morning were entirely welcome to sing the melody from the choir loft, but the plan was organ+cantor.

As folks here have said, it seems that pressuring volunteer singers to give more than they want to is a recipe for losing them these days.
  • TCJ
    I've always told the choir that they are expected at the Christmas night Mass and I'd be grateful if they'd show up for the day one, but I'm not asking them to. We usually get a few to show on Christmas day, enough to allow some harmony parts.
  • Carol
    We typically have a choir for the not really "Midnight" Mass on Christmas Eve and the choir for the Easter Vigil and have just cantor/organist or cantor and organist on the day of Masses. It will be interesting to see whether we can even get enough voices for a choir this year, we haven't really tried since covid, due to a very timid pastor here. I fear we will be starting from scratch.
  • We do the Easter vigil, and an authentic midnight mass.

The choir will sing Easter morning, since, although the vigil is long, it is over at a reasonable hour, whereas we just have other special music Christmas morning since it’s a bit much to ask them to come back after only heading home at 1:20am. (And this year will be a doozy since Advent IV and Christmas Eve are the same day… yikes.)
  • Carol
    I had forgotten about Advent IV and Christmas Eve being that Sunday. Thanks for the warning!
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • In my previous post at a suburban Catholic mega-parish, the Festival Choir sang for Easter Vigil and the "faithful remnant" (this is what the pastor called them) returned for one of the Easter morning Masses. Same thing for Midnight Mass/Christmas Day. We did the big choral pieces at the Vigil/Midnight Mass and repeated one of the easier choral pieces for the Mass of the Day.

A strategy that I found very helpful at the large parish (and introduced at my new parish in a small town, where I have been for a year) is to gather up all the cantors and schedule them in pairs or even quartets for the non-choir feast days Masses. At the mega-parish, I had about 25 cantors (5 weekend Masses). Many of the best cantors did not sing in the parish choir because of family responsibilities, Mass time preference, etc... but had stronger vocal skills than the average volunteer choir member, so we could sing 2-3 part choral music with one person on a part (I also sing, which increased the options for what we could do). This was a very effective way to add to the solemnity of the non-choir Masses on feast days, and the cantors really enjoy it because they often sing alone. I required one rehearsal in advance for feast day Masses.

I tried this model at my new small-town parish, and again, the cantors really enjoyed it. There are about 6 cantors here, so with me singing/playing organ and 2 cantors at a Mass, we could sing three-part harmony.
  • do you guys expect volunteer choristers to sing both the Easter Vigil and Easter Sunday?

All our singers are volunteers - and so am I. how can i answer your question... yes we love the work, yes we enjoy each other, but we're not in it for the music itself, like in a community chorus, or for the camaraderie; we try to support the Mass in the most fitting way possible, out of gratitude for just having it. At Christmas this year, our priest will likely offer 6 Masses in those two days; we would only sing three of them - or he would probably say yes to two sung Masses, but it would not make his heart happy. There's not much you can give to a man who has everything, but this would be one; and yes, there would be a cost to the singers.

Over about 20 years, the whole choir has been quite willing to sing both Christmas Eve/Christmas Day, and Easter Vigil/Easter Day. More than two, living >50 miles away, have booked hotel rooms nearby to spend more time sleeping not driving.
    It's our newest folks who are not so much up to this.
  • We used to sing both Midnight Mass and Christmas Day, as well as a big 8-anthem Easter Vigil. Only this last year did the choir ask for time off, and I had a quartet take the nighttime services. With strong readers we were able to be more adventurous than usual in repertoire with a one hour rehearsal:

11:30 prelude to Midnight Mass:
    Dmitri Bortnianski: Cherubic Hymn No. 7
    hymn 195 Creator of the stars of night
    Roland de Lassus: Consolamini popule meus
    hymn 196 O come divine Messiah
    Igor Stravinsky: Ave Maria
    hymn 214 Lo how a rose
    anon. 6th c. Puer natus est
    anon. c. 1555 Un niño nos es naçido
    hymn 211 Of the Father’s love begotten
    Jean Mouton: Quaeremus cum pastoribus

(hymns 14’ anthems ~14’)

At Midnight Mass:
    O come all you faithful
         Proclamation sung during candle lighting
    Mouton: Noe, noe psallite
    Comm. In splendoribus
    Silent Night
    Hark the herald angels sing
  • When I sang in St. Mary's choir in Akron, Ohio (1977-2005) the men and women who sang were working full-time jobs, raising families, and some even worked the night shift. But, 9 out 10 times they came to practice and came to sing on Sunday. I miss all of them.

Today, it is the organist and myself, the young people don't have that sense of dedication or commitment, they don't come because their friends don't come. I don't have a solution, except to continue as I have always done. One day they'll look for me and I'll be gone. People my age are the last of a kind.
  • I pinch pennies all year to have strings and brass at Midnight Mass. They accompany hymns, Gloria, Sanctus, and Agnus Dei as well as one or two simple motels with choir. It makes life, family, and choir easier for all involved.
  • cesarfranck,
    in the not too distant future, God willing, we will have a much larger choir loft
    and your post has set musical sugarplums dancing in my head. thanks!
    Thanked by 1FSSPmusic
  • Bri
    In response to Don9of11, our choir is actually predominantly people in their 20s and 30s. We do have a number of retired and semi-retired members too. Most of the choir members arent married or are married but don't have (young) children. The younger ones seem to have the best attendance. (As an FYI, I'm in the middle -- neither young nor retired.)

So all is not lost!
  • One local has asked me to decide if i want them (pardon the pronoun) to sing at the Christmas Midnight Mass, which includes an hour prior to the Mass, or at the Day Mass, because it won't be both - "too tiring".

I reflected that Father might be tired at the end of Christmas Day too, having given us all that, and a dawn Mass as well.

The essential difference between Father and your choir members is that the church *is* his full time job.

Whereas for lay people, their primary responsibility is to the domestic (not diocesan) church and their primary mission field is in the world, not in the church.

If you want singers with professional level of commitment of the public worship of the church, then by all means set up a religious order whose ministry is music in public worship (I wish you every success with recruitment).

Without that, get used to being grateful for whatever lay volunteers can give you - and to the fact that they will manage their energy, time and conflicting priorities as best they can.

Sounds harsh? Yes it is. I worked out 30+ years ago that working for the church is not a good idea, it's just intrinsically abusive of lay staff, and the worst at ignoring Catholic social teaching about the dignity of workers.
  • tomjaw
    This year the calendar has given us an interesting Christmas... My volunteers will be singing 11am Christmas eve, Anticipated Midnight Mass and 11am Christmas day.

Although we usually sing most days between Christmas and Epiphany so it is not too different to most years.
  • we usually sing most days between Christmas and Epiphany

That would be the life! Unfortunately the rest of our parish isn't up for having Mass chanted five days a week, but that is the sort of thing I dream of. So many more Propers! So much more opportunity for the old Christmas chants!
  • Liam
    I think of harp (with flute, perhaps) - rather than organ or brass - for this carol, for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IOTyW287v4

All this night shrill chanticleer,
    Day's proclaiming trumpeter,
    Claps his wings and loudly cries,
    Mortals, mortals, wake and rise!
    See a wonder Heaven is under;
    From the earth is risen a Sun,
    Shines all night, though day be done.

Wake, O earth, wake everything!
    Wake and hear the joy I bring;
    Wake and joy; for all this night
    Heaven and every twinkling light
    All amazing, still stand gazing.
    Angels, powers, and all that be,
    Wake, and joy this Sun to see.

Hail, O sun, O blessed Light,
    Sent into the world by night!
    Let Thy rays and heavenly powers
    Shine in these dark souls of ours;
    For most duly thou art truly
    God and man, we do confess:
    Hail, O Sun of Righteousness!
  • Liam-
    i did not get a chance to listen to the recording of this until now and I love it - thank you for bringing it to us!
  • francis
    Most parishes don’t put their money on sacred music anymore. They’re fine about paying the repair man they’re fine about paying the plumber they’re fine about paying the accountant etc. etc. you get what you pay for. And Sacred Music should be at the top of the list and it’s at the bottom.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw LauraKaz