LAUD & PRAISE -
  • I wish to profer a generous portion of laud and superlative compliments on the Rev Mark Daniel Kirby for his essay, Toward a Definition of Liturgical Chant, which appears in the current issue of Sacred Music. This is an outstanding contribution to chant scholarship & theology, superior in some respects to the sometimes tiresomely subjective and romanticised treatments characteristic of some (even a few Solesmes luminaries) who write about this subject. Who can advise me on the proper avenue by which to aquire permission to reproduce this article for the fall class of St Basil's School of Gregorian Chant and for my chant classes at our Lady of Walsingham?
  • chonakchonak
    I'll send you Fr. Kirby's e-mail address.
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    permission to reproduce? you have got to be kidding. paste it on every windshield if you can.
  • Chonak - Thanks. I await it eagerly!

Jeffrey - Are you suggesting that there is not a copyright issue here?
    The whole of Sacred Music is published in the Creative Commons--all authors agree to this--which means that we are not using courts and coercion to prohibit its distribution through any means possible. Why would any evangelistic institution call on the state to grant itself a monopoly on ideas it wants spread?
  • More laud! This is wonderful!
  • chonakchonak
    MJO, did you receive my message yet in your sbcglobal mail? I sent it from my home e-mail account at 10:42 PM last night.
    "Father Mark Daniel Kirby" cenacle@sbcglobal.net
  • Chonak - I have not received your message

Jeffrey - Thanks for father's e-mail. Is cenacle@sbcglobal.net all there is to it? i.e., it doesn't include his name?
  • chonakchonak
    That's the address.