Choir Director/Cantor wanted for Saint Stephen Catholic Church Pensacola, FL
  • I would like to make known that due to my imminent departure as choir director and cantor at St. Stephen Parish we are now in need of a replacement (I will be attending graduate school in St. Augustine, FL as of September 3). Ideally, the new director would be competent in Gregorian chant. It would be wonderful to have a true professional leader for our choir. Not only that, but it would also be ideal if the new director has a love for traditional liturgy as I do. I feel that it takes a special person to lead a choir, especially one devoted to the Gregorian Rite of the Mass, and I feel that most choir directors would be better than I am. However, for the past year I have done my best, but most importantly I have sung the propers of the Mass for the Missa Cantata that we celebrate every Sunday. This is the most crucial thing. Either we need a person to sing them who is also the choir director as I was, or what would be even better... to have a director that can recruit more people into the Schola so that a group can sing the propers (you might have to invite people from outside of the parish for that one). The priority is to have a person who can sing the propers. There will not be anybody able to do it after I leave, let alone anybody who would WANT to get up there and do it. So if anybody here, or if anybody here knows somebody who might be interested in directing a choir with Latin liturgy in beautiful Pensacola, FL please contact us. Contact Fr. Hector R.G. Perez, STD at 850-432-9362 or email FHRGP3@cox.net OR if you need further assistance or questions email me at hylander1986@gmail.com

Thanks and God Bless!

Michael Hyland
  • G
    I will be praying that this post is filled with a worthy successor. God bless you for what you have done for the parish, and good luck in grad school.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • miacoyne
    Pensacola, Fl. is the place I want to be if I ever can move. It must be coincident but there are two Catholic churches with wonderful music program looking for music directors. l'll pray for them too.
  • Thank you for your prayers. I hope they are answered with the right director for our schola... and hopefully soon!
  • So I'm wondering.... is this a part time position? What type choir/schola is already in place? What type music is already being sung? Hymnal? Organ? I used to live (briefly, thanks be to God) in Tallahassee. My wife and I love the water. The heat, well that's a different story (where we live now, we've passed 90 days with 90+ degree temps! And no rain)....

Thanks - if you wish, you can respond to my personal email: lorganiste@gmail.com

God's blessings.
  • Hi. It's been half a year since this was posted. choirboy, could you please let us know if the position was filled or not. If not, could you please communicate with me via email: mistermusik@hotmail.com.

Thanks in advance.