• That sounds nice.
  • Marek66Marek66
    here are 3 parts of my Missa brevis - Kyrie -corrected a bit
  • They all sound very beautiful, although two things jumped out to me as slightly unusual. Unlike a Gloria, an Agnus Dei often seems to end a bit more subdued, more of a gentle resolution, since it is right before Communion. A crescendo in that spot seems odd to me, but that's just my opinion. Also, the Benedictus is usually a separate movement from the Sanctus, sung after the elevations (at least at EF Masses) I don't know if it's a hard and fast requirement, but every polyphonic Mass I've ever seen has them broken up.

I'm curious what your method is to get such nice sounding pieces. Do you figure out the chord progression first? Where do you start at when you sit down to compose something?
  • Marek66Marek66
    it is important to write the appropriate topic well, if it is bad, the whole thing is useless, then I determine the introduction of the topic in individual voices and add counterpoint, trying to follow the rules. in the end, you have to take care of the right cadences so that the whole thing does not give the impression of atonal music, you can introduce some modulation deviation somewhere, I don't think harmonically but linearly - without neglecting harmony, of course, thanks for your attention and these suggestions - valuable - what I wrote applies to Kyrie and Agnus

Thanked by 1OMagnumMysterium
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I am somewhat perplexed by the plethora of parallel fifths in these movements, whereas the preponderance of composers tend to eschew parallel fifths, even when composing in a modern idiom (except perhaps purely atonal music). So I'm curious whether all those instances of parallel fifths are deliberate or perhaps simply overlooked.

The effect (at least to me) of a parallel fifth is one of weakness of (harmonic) texture, especially when it occurs at a cadence (such as the end of the Agnus Dei) or at a transition such as that from the last syllable of "excelsis." into the first syllable of "Benedictus" in the Sanctus.
    Thanked by 1OMagnumMysterium
  • Marek66Marek66
    polish harmony professor Niziurski writes in his textbook that parallel movement of voices in fifths between soprano and alto and bass and tenor is permissible, a matter of discussion, I guess