Approachable, single-movement Magnificat settings?
  • I'm planning a Vespers and Carols school event for early December and was wondering if there were any single-movement Magnificat settings out there. These would need to be approachable enough that my 6th-8th graders could learn the top parts, or at least the soprano line, in the relatively limited time we have.

Thankfully, I am inheriting a relatively strong program. For reference, last year they sang And the Glory of the Lord from Handel's Messiah as well as the Faure Messe Basse. This year they will be learning Mendelssohn's Behold a Star from Jacob Shining along with whatever Magnificat we end up doing. I'm just trying to get a feel for the options out there; if there doesn't seem to be an approachable choral setting we could always fall back on the plainchant version.
  • CGM
    I can think of several.

1. simple fauxbourdon by Morley (attached, in an edition by our own Serviam Scores)

2. simple responsorial setting by Bębenek (attached, in an edition by me, and free to use due to the giveaway policy of the Dominican Liturgical Center in Kraków, for which it was composed)

3. an anonymous simple fauxbourdon setting for 3-vc trebles (attached)

4. a fauxbourdon-like setting for 3-vc trebles by Christoph Dalitz (attached)
    He also has additional settings here.

5. there are eight settings by Soriano on CPDL. More complex than the first few options here, but still not too complicated.

6. Gibbons wrote a glorious and relatively short setting that is a bit challenging but should be within reach.
  • I will enthusiastically second the Gibbons Short Service, which I picked as our first default setting. If you want latin though and have able accompaniment and a soloist, either of Mozart's are not hard (there's a third fragmentary vespers I don't yet know). Or look at Arvo Paart: my friend's high school choir really sank their teeth in that one.
    Thanked by 1Lars
  • PLTT
    If you are doing plainchant may I suggest the French 'ton royal' that they regularly sing in Notre Dame? It also has fauxbordon verses, but I don't know where to get a score for thos - perhaps another contributor here knows.....
    Thanked by 1Patricia Cecilia
  • LarsLars
    this is very approachable.. (sorry.....)
    Thanked by 1LauraKaz
  • My Soul Doth Magnify by Prætorius sings as a hymn, but is excellent. At least one nice version of it is on SJMP.
  • Love the Dyson! (It was new to me, but brought an immediate smile to my face.)
  • @CGM
    FYI, the Magnificat a 3 you posted is by Carlo Grassi (1868-1952), found in the Secunda Anthologia Choralis (p. 103).

Thanks for your edition - I'm singing it for a wedding later this month and yours is much clearer - and with the solemn tone!
    Thanked by 1LauraKaz
  • My choristers have enjoyed singing the George Dyson in C minor

I greatly enjoy that setting as well. Unfortunately, last year's 5th grade class just did it for their spring concert in May and it feels a bit too soon to bring it out again. Also, my parish music director informed me that any English setting we did would have to have the same translation as is in the breviary. So I'm leaning towards Latin settings as of now.
    this is very approachable.. (sorry.....)

This was a favorite in my previous parish. Glad to be out of there.

Currently the Grassi is in the lead...but I'll see how the other piece is shaping up before I decide how much additional music they will be able to handle.
    Thanked by 1Lars
  • One of the first pieces I ever sang in a choir was Dyson's Magnificat in Cm (same one mentioned above) and to this day get it stuck in my head multiple times a week.
  • I have an original hymn, six English verses with a "Magnificat" refrain, plus descant on the last verse. Let me know if you would like to see it.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • I would!
    Thanked by 1Anna_Bendiksen
  • CGM
    And one more is the attached setting in the eighth tone by Lassus, as published in the Parish Book of Motets.
    Thanked by 1rich_enough
  • ghmus7
    The Stanford is unison, frim his short service. Dyson is good too.
  • Theodore Marier's Magnificat found in the hymnal, "Hymns, Psalms, and Spiritual Canticles." Chant antiphon. The verses feature different voices and ends in a charming SATB.
    Thanked by 2Liam ServiamScores
  • ghmus7
    There is a Praetorious setting that is metric and quite easy.
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • LarsLars
    I engraved this one myself, if someone finds it useful, feel free to use it.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen