Parts for Thaxted and Lasst Uns Erfreun
  • RCS333
    Anyone have settings in SATB of these hymns (O God Beyond All Praising and All Creatures of Our God and King texts preferred)? Seems like all the ones I can find are the same unison setting. Thank you in advance!
  • Liam
    That's because they entered English hymnody expressly to be sung in unison - English hymnists were rather particular/deliberate about hymns to be sung in parts vs unison:

1906 English Hymnal (Lasst Uns Erfreuen, as set by RVW) & 1925 Songs of Praise (Thaxted, as set by Holst)

You can find SATB settings of THAXTED (e.g.: https://hymnary.org/hymn/GG2013/page/457) but I think they may well prove the wisdom of unison singing when a melody is so sprawling and emphatic as that tune. I would venture the same about the other tune (here's an SATB harmonization of the German text from 1876: https://hymnary.org/page/fetch/SELG1876/126/high)
    1446 x 1049 - 156K
    1621 x 2482 - 540K
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen RCS333
  • davido
    LASST UNS ERFREUN as arranged by Vaughan Williams actually alternates unison and SATB singing
  • Liam
    Yes, you are right - on the Alleluias and Amen.
  • ServiamScores
    You can find images for just about any hymn on hymnary.org
    Thanked by 2RCS333 cesarfranck
  • Liam
    yes, that's what I did. Scroll rightward, keep on scrolling [voice of Dory]. That's how I learned that things that some Catholic music folks thought were relatively recent American developments of hymn melodies - notably for two warhorses, Immaculate Mary and Holy God We Praise Thy Name - started back in the 19th century.
    Thanked by 1RCS333
  • Jeffrey Quick
    I wrote a tenor and bass part for the last 2 lines of THAXTED, but nothing SATB.
  • francis
    wrote an SATB arr. back in 2021... I modified it for better voicing here.

(this is a pop hymn IMHO)
    Thanked by 1RCS333
  • rich_enough
    Richard Proulx made a popular setting of THAXTED (O God Beyond All Praising) published by GIA which includes a verse in SATB.
    Thanked by 1RCS333