Does anybody else do this with BWV 645?
  • Kevin814
    Seeing as this (like the others in the set) is a transcription of a cantata movement, I've always felt the piece is lacking somehow as an organ solo. So when the left hand isn't playing the chorale melody, I've taken to using it to fill in chords on a quiet 8' stop, in the manner of continuo playing. Just curious if anyone else has tried this, or heard someone else do it?
  • ServiamScores
    I’ve made my own transcription as an organ trio, and I indeed keep the left hand busy when the melody drops out, rather than going down to only two voices. A little different, but same idea.
  • francis
    Not me. I like it with the starkness of two voices... here is a very nice interpretation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvaUX9NMQV0

I really like his version of the 648 further on.
    Thanked by 1Liam
  • While I’ve heard this done, I’m not quick to question Bach’s judgment myself, and play it as written.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW MarkS
  • ServiamScores
    I guess you need to define “as written” since any organ version is a transcription.
  • I define “as written” for Bach works as how they appear in the NBA and its subsequent updates for each individual BWV.
  • ServiamScores
    I actually need to eat some humble pie here:

I was thinking that this was “Jesu Joy…” rather than “Wachet Auf”.

This one I play as written, and go down to two voices. Jesu Joy has other parts since it’s for a larger ensemble, and those are the voices I will supply when not soloing the melody. Wachet auf, however, is different and intended as bicinium that occasionally has a cantus firmus to go along with it.