Psalm 139 You have searched me and you know me, Lord. - Looking for psalm setting
  • rvisser
    Since there are so many composers on this forum, I thought I would check here before I write my own...
    Does anyone have a setting of Psalm 139 for the Memorial of the Passion of St. John the Baptist?

Responsorial Psalm
    Ps 139:1-3, 4-6
    R. (1) You have searched me and you know me, Lord.
    O LORD, you have probed me and you know me;
    you know when I sit and when I stand;
    you understand my thoughts from afar.
    My journeys and my rest you scrutinize,
    with all my ways you are familiar.
    R. You have searched me and you know me, Lord.
    Even before a word is on my tongue,
    behold, O LORD, you know the whole of it.
    Behind me and before, you hem me in
    and rest your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
    too lofty for me to attain.
    R. You have searched me and you know me, Lord.
  • rich_enough
    Psalm 139 is actually for the weekday Mass on August 29, 2023 (Tuesday of the 21st Week of OT (Year 1). My guess is that you looked at the USCCB website for August 29, but that gives the weekday readings unless there is a proper (i.e. mandatory) reading for a particular day. A link near the top of the page gives the readings for the memorial.

The psalm for the Memorial of the Passion of St. John the Baptist (Ps. 71) is identical to the one for the 4th Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year C.

If you want the psalm for the weekday, I've attached a setting below.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Diapason84
    I haven’t composed a setting but I can readily recommend not using the one by Bernadette Farrell.
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • rvisser
    @ rich-enough
    That is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you! My pastor typically uses the readings of the day rather than the readings for the optional memorial.

@ Diapason84
    I'm not sure I'd call that one a psalm setting ;)
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • Liam
    And Ps. 139:1-3, 13-15 is the appointed Psalm for the *Nativity* of St John The Baptism (Mass During The Day), but with the R being "I praise you, for I am wonderfully made."
    Thanked by 2rvisser CHGiffen