Antiphons for Ordo Professionis Religiosae
  • I am wondering if anyone knows where to locate the gregorian chant for the following antiphons from the OPR?

n.36, 154 (opr) Quaesivi quem diligit anima mea
    n. 75 (OPR) ipsi sum desponsata qui filius est patris aeterni proles virginis matris totiusque mundi salvator
    pg. 112 ecce venio, domine, ut faciam voluntatem tuam. Volui legem tuam in medio coris mei.
    Pg.113 qui fecerit voluntatem dei, hic frater meus et sorror mea et mater est.
    Pg. 114 laetatus sum in his quae dicta sunt mihi: in domum domini ibimus. Stantes errant pedes nostril in atriis tuis, ierusalem
    Pg. 115 introibo in domum tuam in holocaustis, reddam tibi vota mea, quae distinxerunt labia mea.

Its funny to me that the ordo for the rite of consecration of virgins has the music inside it, but the ordo for religious profession has absolutely nothing. sigh.
  • igneusigneus
    Quaesivi quem diligit anima mea -- what about using just the end of this antiphon (with "inveni" replaced with "quaesivi")?

Qui fecerit voluntatem Dei, hic frater meus et soror mea et mater est. -- there's a traditional antiphon (modern edition) of the same content in a slightly different form
    Thanked by 1monasteryliturgist
  • What about the Antiphons listed in the 1974 Graduale Romanum?
  • Those work for the mass parts, these other antiphons are for the specific moments of the rite. (reception of insignia etc. )
  • Well it was 1970 and I believe it was mostly to serve as a template for religious congregations to have their own.
    Thanked by 1monasteryliturgist
  • a_f_hawkins
    Apparently there is/was a publication number -
    No. 832 Rituale vestitionum et professionum in monasteriis congregationis s. Petri de Solesmis
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    I have the Rituale vestitionum et professionum (indeed No. 832); the antiphons we're looking for are not in there.

The antiphon Qui fecerit was proposed in the Thesaurus Liturgiae Horarum Monasticae (1977) as an alternative to second antiphon at Lauds of the Tenth Sunday in Ordinary Time (see p. 330), but no musical reference is given.
    Thanked by 1igneus
  • It's a good thing that the reform renewed and solidified the use of the treasury of Gregorian chant!
  • a_f_hawkins
    For music the_Consilium/Bugnini had a twin track approach.
    1) In accord with SC to ensure the publication, and preservation of the treasury of authentic chant. On this track note that USCCB lists GR as the first item on its list of official music books.
    2) In accord with SC extend tha use of scripture, in this case by adding antiphons which might be either used in Latin in spoken liturgies or used as inspiration for vernacular songs.
  • tomjaw
    @a_f_hawkins and this was an improvement?
    I do wonder that 'if' they had wanted to abandon chant to the past because it did not fit in to the 'new ecclesiology', what would they have done differently? and would we notice any difference between a pro and anti chant approach today?
  • It seems to me that it only hurts the council not helps it. If they are discouraging EF and yet OF doesn't have the music that they are proposing should be used... it seems counter intuitive. And I am saying this coming from a congregation that uses OF- but we try to do it the right way.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • a_f_hawkins
    @tomjaw 'they', ie Bugnini/CDW/DDWDS, could have avoided giving GR top billing in GIRM, as USCCB ¿only? has in their version.
  • tomjaw
    @a_f_hawkins So pro chant is giving GR top billing in the GIRM and anti chant is leaving it off the list I suppose. Of course actions speak louder than words, so as we can see around us, the top billing is ineffective.
  • a_f_hawkins
    Indeed Rome's directives are insufficient. I remember, maybe 35 years ago, the Southwark Liturgy Bulletin printing hymn suggestions, they needed to give GR top billing, and make suggestions for selections from GS. Bugnini did provide the tools for singing Latin chant, but had no power to make bishops pass them on to parishes. Even popes sending copies of Jubilate Deo to bishops with the personal request to pass them on proved pretty ineffective.
  • I think they created a profession ritual without thinking it through. We use our Dominican one with our own particular antiphons, etc. I actually forgot about this book!
    Thanked by 1tomjaw