In memoriam: M. Ross Wilson
  • RMSawicki
    I want to take a moment and post that today, July 14th, 2023, is the 30th anniversary of the death of my great teacher and mentor in all things relating to organ and liturgical music, M. Ross Wilson.

Ross was an organist/harpsichordist/carilloneur, a composer, choirmaster, conductor and liturgist (in the true sense of the word), who more than any one individual gets the credit...or perhaps the blame(?)...for inspiring me to delve into this wild, esoteric world of Mass settings & anthems, choirs and scholæ, Latin chant & high English hymnody, "principals, flutes, mixtures, and reeds", liturgical & ritual-based organ improvisations, change-ringing & Grandsires, as well as a veritable pantheon of composers whose magnificent works are now, for me, inextricably linked to the cycles of the church's liturgical year. Additionally, I likely would never have sought out and obtained work in the organ building/maintenance field if I hadn't been inspired by his artistry.

His preferred job title was "Minister of Music", which made sense as he would execute his duties quite "ministerially". Always clad in a "semi-Jesuit" cassock (surplice added for the choral High Mass), he would enter the sanctuary, reverence the Tabernacle, approach the organ console with great solemnity, and perform every related action with a kind of ritual exactitude akin to a devout clergyman ministering at the altar. In doing so he taught me, by example, a great lesson in the value of proper decorum and comportment in the practice of sacred music. His seriousness regarding the training of choristers, both adults and children, led him to be seen at times as a severe, stern taskmaster, whose wrath one dared not trigger, but this was more about instilling in them a sense of the seriousness of participating in sacred service (He was known to say, "For Mass...we must offer perfection"!).

This does not mean he was a some hyper-elitist, stuck-up snooty-puss. Far from it! He was witty and charismatic, loved a good party, had a tremendous sense of humor, and could hold forth lengthy conversations and/or lectures about ALL KINDS of music: Bach and Beatles, Perkofiev and Peter Frampton, Couperin and Christopher Cross, etc. This last-mentioned characteristic was most endearing to anyone who knew him.

Brevity being a virtue on website message boards I'll simply conclude by saying to Ross, "Thanks for everything", and to the Almighty, "Receive him, Lord".

"Eternal rest grant unto them O Lord and may perpetual light shine upon them. May the soul of M. Ross Wilson, and the souls of all the faithful departed, rest in peace".
  • Carol
    What a fine tribute. There is a lot to ponder in here about teaching by example.
  • RMSawicki
    Carol: Thank you very much! Yes, much to ponder (and for me, much to remember!).

Gaudete in Domino Semper!