Hymnal Conundrums and Suggestions
  • Hello all,

I'm sure that some of the questions I'm about to ask are old and have been addressed many times in this space before, but I'm going to post here anyway. I've just been hired as music director for one of the historic California missions, in Ventura, CA. We've been using the Ignatius Pew Missal as our hymnal for a couple years now, and while it's a huge improvement in terms of quality and orthodoxy over what came before, it also has a rather limited selection in a few key respects, which I will list here:

1) "Contemporary" music. My pastor brought this up to me because, bless his heart, he misses a lot of the contemporary music that was lost when my predecessor switched to the more traditional repertoire contained in the Pew Missal. He named the music from the St. Louis Jesuits as something he'd like to hear more of, but which isn't contained in our current missal. I'm not particularly fond of the Louis Jesuits or about many "contemporary" hymns, i.e. those contained in the OCP or other common hymnals. But I'm willing to be flexible and at least have some diverse material at my fingertips.

2) Even as regards more "traditional" hymns, the Pew Missal also has a rather limited selection, requiring me to repeat hymns often during the year -- not the worst solution, of course, but I'd like more options. I already find myself having to supplement from other sources.

3) Spanish music. Here in Southern California, at one of the historic Spanish missions, it is no surprise that we have a large Hispanic population, who have their own Spanish masses every week. Currently, we use the OCP's Flor y Canto, which has a large selection, but much of it is very contemporary, some of it a bit goofy, so I wonder if there are other options with more traditional Hispanic music. Is there anything better than Flor y Canto?

My biggest question is whether there is some hymnal with a large selection of "traditional" music (with pretty choral arrangements and elegant and orthodox translations) that could also satisfy the needs and preferences of some parishes and pastors who still like the more "contemporary" stuff. Some parishes that I know use the Pew Missal but supplement it with an actual hymnal (such as Worship, or something else), since the Pew is really more of a missal with some hymns in the back. But with the addition of a Spanish hymnal, I foresee that this could really clutter up the pews in a church with a lot of books.

Any thoughts are welcome!

Jonathan Culbreath
    Thanked by 2Bri Don9of11
  • St. Michaels Hymnal seems to have a pretty good variety.
  • MarkB
    If you're not opposed to printing supplements for the pews, you should explore getting a OneLicense subscription. That would give you access to and reprint rights for all the songs in the OCP and GIA catalogues as well as from other sources, including public domain hymns. For each song you would have access to a high-quality graphic that you could insert into a Word or Publisher file to print out, but in most cases it would only be a melody version of the song.

You'd have to obtain accompaniments separately, but I assume since the music was formerly in your parish repertoire that the accompaniment books are still in the parish music library.

https://www.onelicense.net/

You could also subscribe to OCP's digital library, which would provide you with access to accompaniments and choral versions of songs:

https://www.ocp.org/en-us/breaking-bread-digital-music-library

There are also other OCP digital libraries for Spirit & Song and their Spanish music.

https://www.ocp.org/en-us/digital-resources

But the caveat with OCP's digital libraries is that they do not include reprint permissions for the pews. You would need a OneLicense subscription to reprint copyrighted music for the people in the pews.

So you might consider a OneLicense subscription and use copies of old choral hymnals and accompaniment books, if you have them. Or get OneLicense and buy accompaniment editions from OCP and just have your choir sing melody only on those supplemental pieces. Or get OneLicense and subscribe to some or all of OCP's Breaking Bread digital library.

I never thought I'd act as salesman for OCP, but I think you might find what you're looking for in the resources above, and it would be cost-effective and easier than buying a completely new or additional hymnal, with immediate implementation.
  • CatholicZ09
    GIA’s Worship IV has a lot to offer for parishes that want a more traditional hymnal with contemporary sprinkled in. I’m sure you are familiar as you mentioned it in your post. I have some qualms with it, though, such as neutering the text and modernizing (eliminating the use of “thee” and “thou.”) Having the scripture readings for the entire three-year cycle is a plus, too. The choir edition offers the parts for the choir.

I’m not familiar with Hispanic hymnody, so I can’t really add anything there. I’m just thinking a hymnal like Worship IV that functions as a missal and hymnal might be the best, as you indicated that you’re worried about cluttering the pews.

This by all means is not an endorsement for GIA, but I find the selection much better with them than with any OCP product.
  • Bombarde16
    I very highly suggest all things ILP.

They just came out with a beautiful Spanish Hymnal (Cantoral) and their offering in Credo strike a good mix between beautiful traditional hymnody, while offering the best of those excursions into more contemporary hymnody and song (without being in the vein of CCW).

We are making a move to the Spanish Missal from Ignatius (¡Canta la Missa!). Just something else to keep on the radar.
    Thanked by 1mattebery
  • davido
    1. St Michael hymnal is the most appropriate English language book on the market. It does not scratch the “contemporary” itch.
    2. OneLicense and a worship aid are your most cost effective solution for incorporating the old “contemporary” that your pastor misses.
    3. Worship aids might solve your Spanish music issue as well.
    4. Much as it is tempting to be ‘flexible’ in a new position, the old “contemporary” (including St Louis Jesuits) needs to be relegated to the dustbin of history. Please don’t teach it to the kids. It will soon die if the kids are not exposed to it. It’s not a good sign that your pastor wants it.
  • Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I do not personally wish to scratch the contemporary itch, but my pastor has some sentimental attachment to music of that era/genre.

I am especially intrigued by the St. Michael Hymnal and the options offered by ILP. The latter in particular seems to have a nice balance of old and new, though I've heard the same regarding the St. Michael. I've reached out to both companies requesting complementary copies to review.

The one small thing I am concerned about with the ILP materials is that many of their hymns are pitched lower than usual. I don't see the point of that, as it sometimes makes it a little awkward for an organist who is used to more typical pitching.
    Thanked by 1LauraKaz
  • Bombarde16
    I agree regarding the pitching of ILP hymns... but just because the hymns are notated lower, doesn't mean they have to be played there!
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • oldhymnsoldhymns
    You might consider the recently published A CATHOLIC BOOK OF HYMNS, compiled by Noel Jones. It features nearly 300 hymns of a traditional genre, mostly from Catholic sources. Many of the wonderful pre-Vatican "old favorites" are included in this hymnal such as hymns to the Sacred Heart, Our Lady, the Blessed Sacrament, Guardian Angels, Saints, and others. Users have told me they like the format since the full accompaniment is given and not just the melody line.

Within the last hour, I was invited to the recording of the weekly diocesan Mass for the 15th and 16th Sundays of Ordinary Time in the Diocese of Fall River. The singer said that nearly all of the music will come from A CATHOLIC BOOKS OF HYMNS. Bravo! That's what prompted me to post this suggestion.
  • Diapason84
    I shy away from GIA products since Worship III because I think their editorial board is confused about whether they want to publish Catholic content or inclusive-language, semi-Protestant music books.
  • davido
    You may not find the songs your pastor wants in the ILP books. They cannot always get licensing for old contemporary standards. There is lots of contemporary style music in their hymn books, but it is often composed by ILP composers, and may not be the “good old songs” that your parish wants to sing.
    Thanked by 1LauraKaz
  • ServiamScores
    I think their editorial board is confused
    I don’t. (Make of that what you will…)
  • Diapason84
    Serviam- Yes- my euphemism was too gentle.
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    I would like too second "A Catholic Book of Hymns", I have given both of my copies to our organist and we have sang several of the hymns found in this collection as second communion hymns. In addition, I have published "A Collection of Catholic Devotional Hymns to St. Joseph" which contain fourteen of the most widely used hymns in honor of this great Saint. You can visit my website for more details:

https://www.motherofmercycatholichymns.com/
    Thanked by 1oldhymns