Black-clad servers at TLM Pontifical Masses
  • I have twice been to TLMs where a bishop presides. I was reminded of something today . I just watched snatches of the video for one of them, at the National Shrine for the “Mass of the Americas.”

At both, there were servers who wore only black, no surplice. I’ve been a vimp, and they did more than that—they maybe did the lavabo, etc. and I didn’t see them holding the crozier during the Mass, as vimps would.

When I saw them at the other Mass, I asked a Guy Who Knows A Lot. He had noticed them, too, but didn’t know what their role was..

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks. Kenneth
  • ServiamScores
    Were they particularly young?

I have seen servers sit “in choir” for wont of a better description; they were very young and processed in and out but didn’t actually have a formal role. Mini servers in training I suppose.
  • They were college-aged, except in one Mass one was a middle-aged man. The uniform was apparently for members of Episcopal households, and not strictly speaking liturgical.

Perhaps someone who saw my post asked a Facebook group after my post and got this informative set of answers.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/297367991281302/permalink/1029304558087638/?mibextid=SDPelY

Thanked by 1ServiamScores