Evangelia Cantata
  • Ed Schaeffer has released a new (and very large!) book of notated sung Gospels for the whole year. Could be very useful. See more here
    Thanked by 1SamuelDorlaque
  • Thanks for the notice Jeffrey. Isn't there also another book that has been done as well that you mentioned a while ago that just has the gospels?
  • I just got my copy of the CMAA's new edition of this. Very impressive. Thanks to Ed Schaeffer and whoever else is responsible.

Any chance any of you musicians who like to promote singing by the clergy would like to post some sound files? At least some examples? (Something like these, www.fsspolgs.org/liturgical2.html, which are useful for the EF.) I can probably manage without them, but I'm not holding out hopes for my deacon.
  • Oh I'm so glad you like it!
  • It's great, because although in theory I probably know enough to take a pencil to the Gospel book and point the whole thing, or selected parts of it, in reality the chances of finding the time for that in the 35 years before I retire are about nil. The price is also reasonable when compared to the insane amount LitPress was charging for the previous edition, and considering the copyright issues.

I'm serious about sound files. I know many music directors would be happy to practice with a priest or deacon who was interested in singing the Gospel, but many clerics hate to sound stupid in front of musicians. They'll practice with you in the choir loft only after they've listened 20 times to the mp3 and practiced 10 times in private.
  • I've changed the color from blue to red, at the suggestion of a number of people whose opinions I hold in high regard.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • Dr. Schaefer shared a number of the settings with Father Keyes while the work was in progress. They're absolutely gorgeous. Thanks, Dr. Schaefer!!!
  • Jeffrey, you're right that the red cover is more fitting for liturgical use, but I'm afraid the Lulu binding is not robust enough for that use. Mine just fell apart as I was practicing the Gospel for Midnight Mass. It appears that the practical way to use this book liturgically is to make a copy of a particular gospel (when the copyright police aren't looking), and paper-clip it into a regular Book of the Gospels or lectionary.
  • This might be a case for using a tablet. It's easily possible now to embed practice audio in an ebook page.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • It appears that the practical way to use this book liturgically is to make a copy of a particular gospel (when the copyright police aren't looking), and paper-clip it into a regular Book of the Gospels or lectionary.

We do that routinely in our Anglo-Catholic (Episcopal) parish. The Book of Gospels is in an ornate silver cover with latches, and the deacon's actual text is paper-clipped in. This also lets the deacon mark the text for chant pointing, have larger type if necessary, and avoid having to turn a page during the proclamation.
  • BenBen
    That's an interesting idea. It might make some sense to use some sort of permanent tablet if you were to have chanted readings on a regular basis, so that it could be formatted various ways with neumes or modern notation, etc... without having to print and paperclip or tape (as I often do, with "document safe" tape, at diocesan Masses when the gospel is chanted).