Grants/Financial support for Organ Acquisition
  • fthereseftherese
    I've recently been named Pastor at a beautiful large old church in Denver, Colorado. (I start this weekend July 1st). The church used to have an organ, decades ago, but when it was deemed unreparable the whole thing was scrapped and removed. Right now, there isn't even a piano, just an electric keyboard.

We have located a console and 11 ranks of pipes that are in good condition, although the console will need to be retrofitted with Hauptwerk to provide a hybrid with enough sound to fill the space. The dealer has quoted what I would consider a reasonable price, and the organ is currently stored locally in several storage bays of public storage.

Another local parish has committed a few thousand dollars towards this project, and I'm currently reaching out to benefactors. I found one site on the internet that talked about grants for organs, but it was for a different State.

Anyone have suggestions? I'm trying to get at least the first phase of the organ (digital console) ready by my installation Mass September 10th.
  • ServiamScores
    Father, perhaps a comprehensive instrument (such as the little Skinner) for sale on the Organ Clearing House website might be an easier way to go about it. (I’m not trying to poopoo your project, to he clear, but there may be an easier way to get a happy result, rather than cobbling things together quickly.)
    Thanked by 1LauraKaz
  • lmassery
    A picture is worth a thousand words - if you can get the builder you're working with to draw up an appealing sketch of the pipe organ in mind, I believe you could propose the project to the parish and entice some parishioners who can help you get it started, financially. I've done this twice with local parishes and pipe organs are an inspiring project. You WILL get a beautiful instrument if that's what you want. Maybe think bigger and go for the gold? If all you have is a console and pipes at this point, you're still going to be looking at well over $200,000 to make an adequate organ. So it is going to be a big project either way. I think it is cheaper in the long run to find a complete and good-condition instrument that can be "transplanted" into your church with little alteration to the original design.

Here's an example. This free 7 rank Schlicker might fit easily, then you could add a solid state upgrade to the console with additional digital ranks as needed. https://www.organclearinghouse.com/organs-for-sale#/3137-schlicker-portland-or

Are you at liberty to share the name of the church or pics of it? Is there a large choir loft?
    Thanked by 1LauraKaz
  • fthereseftherese
    I'm happy to share more information - thank you both for your input as well. I have found several benefactors already, so we're on our way, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't omitting any opportunities for grants that might be out there.

There's a large choir loft - actually, in addition to the choir loft there are two transversal/antiphonal lofts. They walled off part of the choir loft where the organ was niched, so I'd like to open that back up as well.

I'll send some pics of the loft after July 1st. I can send images of the console and pipes later this evening.
  • lmassery
    Sounds like a very large church! Please do share more. Glad you have a few benefactors so far.
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • So - an update! We had the first notes of the new organ (just the digital Hauptwerk through rented speakers) at my Installation Mass Sept. 10th. I'm going to try to attach some pictures of the console (with manuals imported from Germany) and the organ chamber opened.

Here's a link to the article in the Denver Catholic announcing the Installation Mass:
    https://denvercatholic.org/st-ignatius-parish-in-denver-marks-pivotal-moment-with-new-pastor/
    4080 x 3072 - 4M
    4080 x 3072 - 4M
    4080 x 3072 - 6M
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen DavidOLGC
  • UHT keyboards. Good for you!
  • ghmus7
    Many dioceses have foundation for building projects and addition/equioment for a chur h. For example in Dallas there is The Catholic Foundation. Reach out to your diocese and to anyone there who does grants etc...
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    I wish you much success in your new parish, @ftherese