Antiphons for Rite of Consecration of Virgins
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    In the Consecration of Virgins, specifically during the rite itself, there are antiphons that can be sung. Are there chants for these, and, if so, where can they be found?

(Quite literally asking for a friend!)
  • roy2
    And answering courtesy of a friend, a church musician who was consecrated herself a year ago this (liturgical) week on the Solemnity of the Most Sacred Heart:

“Great question! I couldn't find them either! The best I could come up with was the setting of them here: https://www.calameo.com/read/00621772418f501ab04ed
  • GambaGamba
    PM me with your email and I can send some.
  • igneusigneus
    “Great question! I couldn't find them either! The best I could come up with was the setting of them here: https://www.calameo.com/read/00621772418f501ab04ed

Only bare lyrics are provided there for the ritual antiphons. Only chants of the Mass are notated.
  • igneusigneus
    1. The Latin typical edition is (online, blessed be archive.org, and) notated!

2. Many of the antiphons can be paired with textually similar, sometimes identical or almost identical, LOTH antiphons, which should be possible to find in existing English antiphonals, e.g. this one.

(Antiphon texts below quoted according to this document.)

Be wise: make ready your lamps. (...) - cf. LOTH, Common of Virgins, first Vespers, second Magnificat antiphon

Come, listen to me, my children;I will teach you reverence for the Lord - I don't know an analogue for this one. Since the text is to be sung by the bishop himself, it's usually safer to use some really simple setting.

Now with all our hearts we follow you, (...) - cf. LOTH, Common of Virgins, first Vespers, antiphon to the second psalm

To you, O Lord, I lift my soul; (...) - cf. LOTH, Advent, pre-Christmas week, Thursday, antiphon to the first psalm

I am espoused to him whom the angels serve; (...) - LOTH, St. Agnes of Rome (21st January), Morning prayer, 2nd antiphon

I will raise my mind and heart to you, (...) - I don't know an analogue for this one
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • You can find my collection Music for the Consecration of Virgins on the CRCCM Repertoire Project website:

Click here.

I think I have most of the options covered. Some have instrumental parts also. The antiphon texts are from the most current Pontifical (out of print, sadly), and the verses are from the Abbey Psalms & Canticles.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen