The Hunt for a New Organ
  • TCJ
    Our current digital organ has decided to be very problematic, so it's time to search out options for a new one. I'm sure everyone has opinions, but I would like to hear about opinions and experiences that people here have with various digital organs. We are close to Chicago.

I would like a pipe organ, but it's an impossibility due to how the church was constructed, so we're stuck with digital. Johannus and anything related to it is out of the question. I have not been given a budget (yet), but it's probably going to be fairly low. Last organ cost roughly $35,000 with installation, but I know prices have jumped significantly since then and so does the pastor, so we are expecting to have to pay a significant amount more just to achieve a similar product (though I'm hoping for much better).

Of course I will be doing my own research, but it's always good to hear from others. Thanks!
    Thanked by 1DavidOLGC
  • TCJ,

Posting here is a form of research. You're already doing research by employing the talents of knowledgeable experts in Chicagoland.
  • CharlesW
    In my area, Allen and Rodgers are the most common digital instruments. I would say there are more Allen than Rodgers instruments. They can be pricey. I know of other brands, to be sure. But their dealerships are few and far between. If money is an object, sometimes a good used instrument can have some years left in it. Have you talked to any AGO folks in your area? They can be a good source of local information.
  • ServiamScores
    We welcomed a new Rodgers this past year, and while I’ve run into a few teething pains (we were one of the first installations of this new model) it’s been a very enjoyable instrument to play (significantly nicer than any Allen (and certainly Johannus!) that I’ve ever played). My dealer is based in Chicago, so I have some personal contacts if you’d like them.

Regarding prices, if you go with a modest instrument, you could eek by in the 50-60’s, but realistically instruments can go much higher than that, and very quickly too. Walkers START around 120, and M&O’s start closer to 200.

There is a very nice Rodgers for sale on eBay at present that is very similar to what I have. It might seriously be worth considering. The local Rodgers guy could likely go get it and do a professional install for you. We are very happy with ours; it is a very flexible instrument.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/394442285239?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=RHbCC_boQKG&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=C6TabvSCT6a&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
    Thanked by 1DavidOLGC
  • GambaGamba
    My personal ranking would be Walker, Phoenix, Rodgers, Allen, and then Viscount/Johannus/anything else. This takes into account beauty of tone (such as it is), quality of amps/speakers provided, durability, and functionality.

I would say talk to Triune Music in Elmhurst and go listen to the organ they put in at St. Michael’s Church in Wheaton. It’s a hybrid, but switch off the pipe ranks and just listen to the digital stuff. I think it’s fairly astonishing; a lot of that is the room, but the combination of Walker and Rodgers samples is darn solid and in that soupy room, I sometimes failed the pipe/digital test.
  • ServiamScores
    Triune did our installation as well. Steve and David are great guys, and they have treated us well.

I’ve played two large 4m walkers, and one of them was astonishingly good, and the other was nice, but had directivity issues due to the chambers it was in.

I played the Ave Maria M&O and came away less enthused than anticipated. The color reeds were most excellent (there was a regal that was positively lifelike), but the rest wasn’t what I was led to believe based on other reviews. It was nice (don’t get me wrong) and the console was an absolute delight, but considering the massive bipolar array, I expected more than I experienced.

I’ve heard nice things about Phoenix organs, however they are relatively rare around my neck of the woods, and they are based out of Canada. It didn’t seem worth the trouble to audition them specifically since there wasn’t much to go off of (that I was aware of based on a cursory search at least). I think one thing they have going for them is that their installations are more custom, from what I understand. I don’t think they do as much “stock model” stuff as other firms do. I think you get some input on which samples make it in. That would be nice.

Allen upgraded their tone engine in the last year or so, and based on one demo comparison they’ve posted, it seems their newest gen tech might be palatable, but I wouldn’t touch anything that doesn’t have the new samples. I’ve played a few, including a fancy Diane Bish signature series with pipe facade (10-15yo installation now) and it’s “meh” at best (and it was obviously their Cadillac offering). At least it had moving drawknobs.

One thing I’ll say about Rodgers is that they have their tonal pallet system where each of the various voicings can be called back instantly, on a stop by stop basis. You don’t have to change everything to “french” but if the montre is better than the default principal, you can just change that one stop. In essence, that means you have 4 times the color pallet to play with, although everything isn’t available at once. There are also another 150 built in sounds recallable via midi piston, and so you really have a LOT to choose from, and it’s very quick and seamless. I like the system very much.
  • TCJ
    My only experience with Rodgers was playing an old one from the 70's with a trumpet that sounded like a kazoo. Technology has come a long way!
  • mmeladirectress
    Did a comparison of Allen, (then) Rodgers, and Phoenix -
    the Phoenix sound was, and remains, phenomenal.
    solid construction, very few service calls (maybe four in 14 yrs)
    not too far away installations from CHI area
    ST. PAUL'S LUTHERAN CHURCH - Harvard, IL
    DIVINE MERCY POLISH MISSION - Lombard, IL, USA
    ALL SAINTS' CATHEDRAL PARISH - CHICAGO
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    While Allens don't sound great, I have found them substantially more reliable than any Rodgers I've played. Every Rodgers I've played had something malfunction from stops to sticking pedals to one that simply died mid service and was deemed unrepairable despite being only 10 years old. I find the Allens more reliable and the consoles more durable. With any installation who does the installation is of utmost importance and the availability of future servicing.

Nothing will match the real thing and nothing is inexpensive.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    I used to say you could drop one of the old Hammonds out of a second story window and it would still play. Same for the old Wurlitzer pianos.

I have also found the Allens to be more reliable than the Rodgers, even though I have a Rodgers at home.
  • francis
    I don't care about Allen vrs. Rodgers... they are all FAKE. Simulicrum are a short term solution to a permanent outcome.

Invest in a REAL pipe organ... even if it is second or third hand.

https://www.organclearinghouse.com/

This is far beyond even the most expensive digital...

https://www.organclearinghouse.com/organs-for-sale#/2986-beckerath-houston-tx

200k (not including transport and installation) but it will last AT LEAST a century... and when the electric is taken from you, it will still speak with choir-boy-power.
  • TCJ
    Francis,

While I agree with you and have pushed pipe organs wherever I go, I think you may have missed the part in my original post that a pipe organ is not possible due to the construction of the building. So, yes, pipe organs are much better and a digital should only be a temporary... but again, considering the situation, it's rather pointless making the argument in this case because it won't happen outside of rebuilding a section of the church, and I know that won't be happening.
  • CharlesW
    There is a huge, huge church in my state that built in no space for a pipe organ in their new building. I remember them having an electronic 50 years ago in their old building. It was a Hammond "church" model. Pipes are ideal but if you can't get them, you go to plan "B."
  • TCJ,

If someone proposed putting in a ramp for disabled persons, or a cry room for fussy children or cameras and a sound system to allow for the broadcast of Mass to an ever-growing internet-only parish... and some remodeling would be necessary to accomplish these.... how likely is your parish to allow/require the remodeling, and how likely, on the other hand, to dig in its heels and say "We can't have a ramp because it would require remodeling the building"? How persuadable are they?
    Thanked by 1LauraKaz
  • DavidOLGCDavidOLGC
    RE:

"francis 3:41PM Thanks
    I don't care about Allen vrs. Rodgers... they are all FAKE. Simulicrum are a short term solution to a permanent outcome.

Invest in a REAL pipe organ... even if it is second or third hand."

Francis, in theory I agree. I wish our church could have a pipe organ.

But it's not always possible.

Even apart from financial considerations, as an example our small rural parish, with a church that was built in the early 1950's, just does not have a space that could support a pipe organ. There's barely enough space in the tiny choir and organ loft for the small Viscount Cantorum Duo, the extension speakers, and the singers.

So for some of us, a digital simulacrum is a better option than a Hammond or other small analog organ. It's a much better option than a piano or guitars, and I say that as someone that is a much more professional level guitarist than I am organist.

I know you mean well, and appreciate your input on many musical levels, but honestly, the use of ANY organ is better than not having one at all.

David

Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • the use of ANY organ is better than not having one at all.

I use a simulacrum, but would very much prefer the real article, and as we work toward getting our own church building I hope to advance the cause. A refugee camp is better than a warzone, but a refugee camp is only a temporary situation, not something to be sought.
    Thanked by 2DavidOLGC LauraKaz
  • TCJ
    TCJ, If someone proposed putting in a ramp for disabled persons, or a cry room for fussy children or cameras and a sound system to allow for the broadcast of Mass to an ever-growing internet-only parish... and some remodeling would be necessary to accomplish these.... how likely is your parish to allow/require the remodeling, and how likely, on the other hand, to dig in its heels and say "We can't have a ramp because it would require remodeling the building"? How persuadable are they?

None of those things would happen for various reasons. Ramp to sanctuary? Unnecessary and unsightly. Cry room? Major renovation not worth the cost.

Getting a pipe organ in would require a major revamp which would quite likely involve removing the current organ loft (a brand new build) and putting in a new one.

Could this discussion be moved to another thread, however? I started this asking for information, not an argument about pipe/digital. I'm happy to engage in such elsewhere, but it's really not helpful for my purposes here and is actually a bit unhelpful because it clutters up the posts which are giving actual information.
  • DavidOLGCDavidOLGC
    "Chris Garton-Zavesky 7:20PM

I use a simulacrum, but would very much prefer the real article, and as we work toward getting our own church building I hope to advance the cause. A refugee camp is better than a warzone, but a refugee camp is only a temporary situation, not something to be sought."

Let's just say ALL of us would rather have a lovely excellent quality "real" pipe organ to use in our services.

This is a given.

However, our parish is NOT going to have any budget in the near future - if ever - for remodeling the church building for a pipe organ that we cannot afford anyway. Sad to say, this is just reality.

Further, in our case, I do not consider it as a "refugee camp" to have had someone donate a digital organ and speaker system to a poor rural parish. I consider it a blessing.

Those of you that work at parishes that have large ornate churches, fine pipe organs, paid musical staff, etc. are extremely fortunate to be in such situations.

Back to the subject:

TCJ 7:40PM

Getting a pipe organ in would require a major revamp which would quite likely involve removing the current organ loft (a brand new build) and putting in a new one.

........ I started this asking for information, not an argument about pipe/digital."

from the OP:

"Last organ cost roughly $35,000 with installation, but I know prices have jumped significantly since then and so does the pastor, so we are expecting to have to pay a significant amount more just to achieve a similar product (though I'm hoping for much better)."

Have you and the pastor decided on a final budget yet?

• TCJ
    DavidOLGC,

No budget set yet. I just got the OK to start looking into this on Friday and I haven't had time to do much yet or have an official meeting with him.

To anyone:

I have read somewhere that new Rodgers organs are actually using Johannus technology, thus the newer ones will sound like Johannus. Can anyone confirm if this is true?
    Thanked by 1DavidOLGC
  • ServiamScores
    I have read somewhere that new Rodgers organs are actually using Johannus technology, thus the newer ones will sound like Johannus. Can anyone confirm if this is true?
    This is false. They are owned by the same conglomerate entity, but each company retains its own essential essence. They DO have a new tone-generation platform called "Direct streaming" which is now used by multiple brands, but all that means is that samples stream directly from hard drives since SSDs are so fast now. The samples and voicings are still fairly distinct. And, ironically, it's Johannus that's using a lot of the Rodgers tech, not the other way around.

I recently played a nearby "monarke" installation which was put in shortly after my own installation was done. While they have the same zimbelstern, that's about all they have in common, and I pity the other church (as does the installer).

And don't let anyone guilt you about going digital. I was in the same boat. Our church was built with small chambers up by the sanctuary, and the loft was never intended to hold an organ (and the chambers were never intended for pipes). Our loft's ceiling height is only 14' tall at its highest point, with most of it being lower than that. We had an engineer look at our blueprints, and we discovered that to hold any significant weight, we would have to install steel girders in our vestibule (which already has a very low ceiling) that would need to go down into the footings of the bell tower's foundation. We also needed to move some significant HVAC equipment that was rather unfortunately placed in the loft prior to my tenure. Moving/reconfiguring that equipment alone was on the order of 10k. Then retrofitting the structure of the loft was going to cost many thousands more. Then add in the fact that all of our pedal division would have to be mitred or haskeled... (which complicated the acquisition efforts of existing instruments from places like organ clearinghouse) and I haven't even mentioned the knock-on effects and space concerns that doing this would have caused.

Ultimately, we still hope to add some essential pipework and convert the instrument to a 'hybrid', but at the time we needed to pull the trigger, it was a non-starter to have to spend 40k before we could even think about installing pipes, when that was 1/3 our budget to begin with.

But the simple fact of the matter is: purists can B&M all they want, but not every situation is ideal, and not every situation can accommodate a pipe organ in a healthy way. Ivory towers are great for those who can afford them, but the rest of us mere mortals need to just do the best we can with the card we've been dealt.
  • David,
    I'm not arguing (as per the OP's request) which is better. I'm acknowledging which is -- the real pipe instrument -- and proposing that, just as parishes often have money for expensive sound systems and other utterly un-necessary additions to parish churches but can't pay musicians a simply appropriate stipend/wage/salary, perhaps the remodeling of the building and the importing of a pipe instrument is, for surely it is in some places, a matter of rightly ordered priorities.
  • CharlesW
    I am all in favor of pipes, but not every pipe organ sounds better than a digital. I have heard some really rotten sounding pipe organs, especially those built in the height of the "organ reform." Funny thing about reforms. They often destroy more than they preserve.
  • lmassery
    I would say that at my church there was absolutely no place to put a pipe organ, but now we have a wonderful pipe organ. Room can sometimes be found somewhere if you are creative about it.
  • TCJ
    Regardless, I can say with 100% certainty that reconstruction and/or loans to effect getting a pipe organ, even if they were approved by the pastor, would not get approval from the diocese (which is required). Not happening at the moment.

Back on topic, please?
    Thanked by 1DavidOLGC
  • DavidOLGCDavidOLGC
    lmassery 1:39PM Unthank
    I would say that at my church there was absolutely no place to put a pipe organ, but now we have a wonderful pipe organ. Room can sometimes be found somewhere if you are creative about it.

Yes, but only if your parish has the budget!
  • TCJ
    Serviam,

That Rodgers model is one I was looking at as probably a good fit (at first glance anyway) for the parish.

Also good to know that Rodgers isn't using the same technology as Johannus because that would have put me off instantly.

Thanks to everyone who answered with information so far. If you have anything else, go for it.
  • ServiamScores
    Amen, Charles.

I also suspect that a lot of the animosity toward digitals is really based on experiences with poor-quality instruments—most of which date to the days of yore. The truth is, those instruments are loathsome. But modern instruments should not suffer for the sins of their "parents".

It's worth noting that—regardless of which brand you choose—the installers need to voice the instrument. Then, after you've lived with it for a while, they need to voice it even more. Our new organ was installed 8 months ago and I had more voicing done just two weeks ago. I have continued to collaborate with our installer to have him improve the instrument with every visit. He passes through the area, or comes to do firmware updates and other things like that, and he will tweak things for me.

I personally think it's this lack of voicing that is partly to blame for so many bad installations. And while I do not mean to imply that voicing can cure all ills (it cannot) it can certainly take an installation from "meh" to "hey, that's pretty good!". I doubt anyone here on the forum would ever claim that digitals can truly replace pipes, but it should be acknowledged that the digital instruments are closer than ever—and pretty dang good, at that (well, some of them anyway... steer clear of Johannus.)
  • TCJ
    If one were to compare the organs purely on durability and quality/ease of service, how would you rate the following?

Phoenix
    Rodgers
    Allen

...and for the fun of it...

Johannus

... and even though there are no dealers even close to me, I'm just curious about...

Ahlborn-Galanti

...because I've not seen them mentioned yet, but I have seen videos of people playing them on YouTube.
  • CharlesW
    I have only played one Ahlborn-Galanti and I didn't like it. I thought it a bit harsh and didn't like the tone. Of course, the priest was also an organist and he tampered with the organ constantly. It drove the service tech nuts. I have no experience with Phoenix or Johannus.
    Thanked by 1DavidOLGC
  • I have played a (temporary) Hauptwerk at Church of the Presentation (ordinariate) in the far north of Houston.
    For a simulacrum I found it more convincing than Allen or Rodgers
    P.S. - By the way - 'simulacrum' is singular and 'simulacra' is plural.
  • francis
    More than one simulacrum is one too many.
  • How does this technology differ from Viscount's Physis technology? My understanding is that Physis creates the 3D model of a pipe with other variables that can be manipulated through some apps. The closest Viscount Hybrid I know of is in Altoona, PA. Dr. Latona did the dedication recital on that instrument.
    Thanked by 1DavidOLGC
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    I played a (fairly new at the time) 3-manual Ahlborn-Galanti at a church job from 2010-2014. It was nothing to write home about, had electrical problems, and was replaced with a new Allen shortly after I left that position.
    Thanked by 1DavidOLGC
  • ServiamScores
    Most of the modern builders use sampling now, so they are all glorified hauptwerk instruments. The only difference is you can’t load extra sample sets on a whim. Viscount is the notable exception here, for good and for ill. Pianoteq has proved that algorithmic instruments can be shockingly realistic, so the concept certainly shouldn’t be dismissed, but organs are quite a bit more complex and difficult to model.

One thing I’ll add about Rodgers (I’m not sure what latitude exists for Allens these days) is that the voicing capabilities are quite robust and every single note of every single rank can be adjusted a dozen different ways. It’s mesmerizing to watch the instrument be voiced because there are so many different parameters that can be tweaked. So it’s the best of both worlds in a way: the samples are of real pipes, but they can be improved to fit our speaker setup and room, well beyond basic volume or “brightness” adjustments. In this respect, I know Viscounts are pretty good too, since it’s all computational.
    Thanked by 2DavidOLGC CHGiffen
  • DavidOLGCDavidOLGC
    M. Jackson Osborn 4:02PM
    I have played a (temporary) Hauptwerk at Church of the Presentation (ordinariate) in the far north of Houston.
    For a simulacrum I found it more convincing than Allen or Rodgers

I used the free version of Hauptwerk, the St. Anne's Moseley by Brindley and Foster, on my laptop before our church got the Viscount. Even through the house PA is sounded pretty good...for a digital organ.

francis 6:39PM Thanks
    More than one simulacrum is one too many.

I think we get it, you don't approve of anything other than a real pipe organ. : )

What do you practice on at home?

Mattspmusic0320 6:48PM
    How does this technology differ from Viscount's Physis technology? My understanding is that Physis creates the 3D model of a pipe with other variables that can be manipulated through some apps. The closest Viscount Hybrid I know of is in Altoona, PA. Dr. Latona did the dedication recital on that instrument.

ServiamScores 7:41PM
    Most of the modern builders use sampling now, so they are all glorified hauptwerk instruments. The only difference is you can’t load extra sample sets on a whim. Viscount is the notable exception here, for good and for ill......I know Viscounts are pretty good too, since it’s all computational.

I'm certainly not in the same league as you well trained organists, but I really like the Viscount I'm playing on at church.

I'm not sure if you can load other sample sets, but the Cantorum Duo has 4 built-in sample sets that do have some capability for adjustments.

1189 x 853 - 402K
  • ServiamScores
    David, that’s what I meant. With the big builders you’re stuck with whatever (multiple) voicings are baked into the instrument. Genuine hauptwerk installations can have whatever samplesets you desire.

I’ve played a large HW installation (48 channels, I believe) and I wasn’t all that impressed. It partly suffered from speaker placement relative to the console. But you have to be VERY careful with choosing the right samplesets for reproduction in a large room. If you truncate wet samplesets there isn’t enough detail, so ideally you voice a totally dry set, and allow the room to do its thing. That’s a whole other discussion.
  • GambaGamba
    While they sound pretty great, the issue I have with HW and similar computer programs is threefold:

1) Macs and MIDI interfaces are getting more and more reliable, but are still prone to freeze and crash; manageable if you’re practicing, less so if Father is looking at you expectantly for a pitch, or you’re in the middle of a hymn.

2) Unless you pick one sample set you like and go to Phoenix or Classic Organ Works or another builder and get a custom console with physical stopknobs and pistons that match with what HW has inside it and can be programmed to instantly respond, playing and improvising is severely limited if you have to look around and bash exactly the right spot on an ugly touchscreen, or worse, use a mouse, just to add the Sw 4’ flute. Unless you get specialty speakers and amps, again from an organbuilder, the sound’s going to be underwhelming and consumer-grade electronics have an unfortunate lifespan. By the time you’ve paid for a custom HW console and audio, you may as well have just gotten one of the builder’s own products.

3) I am pretty comfortable on computers and have used HW before, so I could probably solve a problem given enough time. But the organist who comes after me, or a sub who covers for me, may be an excellent organist but lack the tech interest sufficient to keep the thing up and running, if it doesn’t look and function exactly like an ordinary organ, and then it is a sunk cost and not doing its job (see #2).
  • ServiamScores
    I am pretty comfortable on computers and have used HW before, so I could probably solve a problem given enough time. But the organist who comes after me, or a sub who covers for me, may be an excellent organist but lack the tech interest sufficient to keep the thing up and running,
    This is precisely why I did not pursue this option, although I think I could have pulled it off pretty well. I wanted whatever we got to last well beyond me and not require me to come back if something ever went awry.
    Thanked by 1DavidOLGC
  • Serviam,

not require me to come back if something ever went awry.

Surely ghosts take care of organs well?
  • CharlesW
    Old organists never die, they just try to retire...
  • ServiamScores
    I would have said the opposite, Charles! Lol
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    I have found that it doesn't matter how long it has been since you retired, you will get a call every time something goes wrong.
  • Rodgers and Allen both have market dominance, but I haven't been too impressed. If the very very nice Phoenix and Walker are out of the budget, I have been very pleased with Viscount. All of these instruments are glorified toasters anyway, and we were able to get a full install last year with a studio model console (no roll top, smaller) and a 4.1 channel system for under $22,000.
    It sounds just fine, especially as an introduction for a parish that wasn't warm to the sound of an organ.
  • mmeladirectress
    To the OP

>> 2) Unless you pick one sample set you like and go to Phoenix or Classic Organ Works or another builder

Our Phoenix has four
  • TCJ
    Four sample sets seems to be standard for a digital these days.
    Thanked by 1DavidOLGC
  • francis
    True confession

I drove 120 miles to pick up a full hauptwerk console (two high end manuals and ago pedalboard two touchscreen monitors, amp and high end speakers)

I got it couple of years ago but still have not put it together. HELP!!
    Thanked by 1DavidOLGC
  • Does it have the FBI approved software package, Francis?
  • francis
    CGZ

Forgive my ignorance. I haven’t a clue about that dimension.
  • I oversaw the installation of the Hauptwerk in our ordinariate parish's chapel. It cost less than 20,000 for purchase and installation, with 8 channels. We used a turn-key hauptwerk provider based in Louisiana. We use only one dry sample set and let the acoustic of the room do the rest. The set was chosen to help support our tradition's particular patrimony. Even for it's cheap price, it is the most realistic digital organ I have ever heard except for a expensive and sophisticated Walker set up at Baylor University.

The entire organ is programmed with an initiation sequence, so you just push an "on" button like on any real organ and it powers up and shows stop registers on the dual touch screens. The pistons and expression pedals function as on a real organ as well. I have had many substitutes and no major mishaps. They were all able to figure it out, as it functions for all intents like the console of a real organ.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Which Hauptwerk provider did you use, Liam?