Processional statues
  • davido
    This is a little off topic for music, but:

Does your parish ever carry statues in procession? What are your statues made of? Where did you purchase them?
    We would like to do a marian procession with the school kids in May, but 8th graders carrying our concrete and porcelain statues doesn’t seem wise…
  • DavidOLGCDavidOLGC
    Yes, we recently had a new Portuguese made statue of Our Lady of Fatima and during the service there was a processional carrying it into the church. I'm not sure what it was made of, probably carved and painted wood, but it was about 4 feet high, and it was purchased by our local Portuguese-Azoran community.

It looks like this:

• The statue of Our Lady of Walsingham is carried in procession from the church to the out door shrine dedicated to her. It is about three feet tall and is carved and polychrome wood. This is normally done on our Lady's feast days.
  • tomjaw
    We carry statues, I originally made a bier for a 2 ½' porcelain statue of Our Lady the parish owns but it was difficult to hold down. We now use my wife's grandmothers 2' statue of Our Lady of Fatima, that is plaster on wood, this is screwed down to the bier so it can not fall off.
    Wooden statues are also good as you can also screw them down, they are also not too heavy
  • davido
    Thank you all, this is great information!
  • ServiamScores
    As an aside, if you're ever in the market to buy truly exceptional statues and are able to do so, go visit Fatima, Portugal. The religious shops in that little town are overflowing with the most amazing statuary. It's mind-boggling.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw