Associate Director of Sacred Music for Masses in Spanish (Goshen, Indiana)
  • St. John the Evangelist Parish in Goshen, Indiana invites applicants for the position of Associate Director of Sacred Music. This new staff position will direct music at our Sunday Masses in Spanish. We are seeking a candidate with excellent knowledge of Catholic sacred music who wants to be a part of the transformation of the liturgical culture of our parish, moving from guitar-based accompaniment of popular devotional hymns to properly liturgical, sacred music according to the vision of the Catholic Church, while preserving a culturally sensitive music program that incorporates the best of Hispanic devotional traditions. Candidates will benefit from the guidance of an experienced Director of Sacred Music and pastor who have patterned this transformation of our sacred music program in our Masses in English and are now ready to bring the Church's vision of sacred music to our Masses in Spanish as well.

Position title: Associate Director of Sacred Music
    Exempt full time
    Reports to Director of Sacred Music
    Start date: July 1, 2023
    Compensation: Salary with full benefits, according to abilities, experience, and education

The duties of this position include:

Lead weekly choir rehearsals
    Provide accompaniment and direct small ensembles for four Sunday Masses weekly.
    Saturday 6:00 p.m.
    Sunday 9:00 a.m.
    Sunday 1:00 p.m.
    Sunday 2:45 p.m. (August – May)
    Assist with music at the 11:00 a.m. Mass in English in order to promote collaboration between our English-speaking and Spanish-speaking music programs.
    Provide accompaniment and direct music for weddings, quinceañera celebrations, and funerals as assigned by the Director of Sacred Music (will involve additional compensation).
    Serves as a bridge between parish staff and Spanish-language music program.
    Ensure compliance with safe environment regulations during activities as applicable

Skills needed:

Excellent keyboard skills
    Organ proficiency is preferred but not strictly required for consideration
    Proficiency with other liturgical instruments
    Excellent vocal skills
    Ability to direct musical ensembles
    Knowledge of Catholic liturgy and sacred music and willingness to learn and be formed
    Full professional Spanish and English written and oral language capacity
    Familiarity with traditional Spanish-language devotional music and liturgical culture
    Willingness and ability to help parishioners and musicians transition from a parish music culture that relies on devotional music with guitar-based accompaniment to one that incorporates properly liturgical, sacred music
    Ability to work with a wide range of individuals and build consensus and support for a newly unified parish music program

Interested applicants are invited to submit a completed application via the Diocese of Fort Wayne – South Bend (https://theapplicantmanager.com/jobs?pos=d1337&fs=1.0em or diocesefwsb.org/careers). To learn more about the position or St. John the Evangelist parish, please visit www.stjohncatholic.com or contact James Richardson at 574.533.3385 or music@stjohncatholic.com.

Thanked by 2irishtenor Bri
  • ServiamScores
    Greetings all,
    I’ll just chime in that this is my parish, and I’m happy to discuss the situation via PM. We are really trying to turn the ship around, and this past Lent I worked with one of the Hispanic choirs and we had nothing but organ for all of lent as well as traditional hymnody / psalmody. We did missa xviii (spanish missal version) as well, and it was all very well received. There is tremendous opportunity for growth here, and I can testify first hand that the Hispanic musicians are very ready and willing. We also have a new 3m Rodgers Infinity 367 which is very well appointed and a joy to play. Our priests are wonderful and offer very reverent liturgies. We are a bit of a refuge parish, if you get what I mean. (I know of one person who drives 40 minutes one-way just to enjoy the reverence we try to foster.) Considering the happy response to our bilingual Easter Vigil this year, I think that if there is a Spanish-speaking musician who is looking to influence masses in Spanish in a positive way, you will find an eager audience.
    Pax,
    James
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions