Soloists in the EF
  • I'm curious about official statements and actual tradition concerning use of soloists in the Extraordinary From. Specifically, what is the standard practice regarding soloists at Nuptial and Funeral (low or high) Masses? Is it acceptable to have soloists sing an Ave Maria, etc., and why or why not?
  • dad29
    Pius X was fairly clear about "operatic" works, whether by soloists or choirs. In a word, "no."

But that doesn't eliminate soloists--just a genre of music.

Part of the reason for using solo singers at weddings/funerals was pragmatic; one could not always assemble a choir for these events. Part of it, however, was mis-guided--the idea that since singing was necessary, ANY singing was fine--soloist or otherwise. That's simply the wrong take, as the 'mandated' singing was for the Propers, Ordinary, and responses.

Soloists can 'slide in' as substitutes for the choir when and if they are singing voluntaries (or 'meditations') apropos the liturgical action. IOW, perhaps a 'Panis' at Communion, only AFTER the communion proper is sung. The "Ave Maria" is poorly placed at the Offertory--it's much better sung when the couple venerates the Mary-statue after the Mass.

For funerals? Even less desirable, unless their offerings are either before or after the Mass. The EF funeral rite has plenty of music in the propers alone, and the generally somber nature of the funeral Mass almost militates against a soloist.

Good luck telling Joe and Mary Parishioner about that, by the way. I'd suggest wearing body armor.
  • Donnaswan
    You'll have just as much success as talking parish out of a Patriotic song on the 4th ofJuly!! :)

Donna
  • Last week members of the choir available in the daytime sang the Latin Requiem Mass at an OF Funeral on less than 24 hours notice.

This started out as a funeral where they wanted to play a CD of Perry Como singing the Schubert Ave Maria during the Mass.

I called the funeral home to see if they had a copy and they began looking. I spoke with the daughter and, yes, she did have the CD in her purse. Her mother, after receiving last rites spent her last day listening to that CD over and over again. She loved hearing it.

I arranged then with the funeral director for that CD to be played at the wake service the evening before. I also arranged with a singer from the choir to sing it before the funeral in the church as well.

Visiting priest was open to the Requiem, and since most of those attending were not Catholic, we were able to sing the 23rd Psalm non-responsively, using the C. Hylton Stewart SATB chant.

Good things can happen when you work with people rather than against them. A positive attitude can bring good things if you do not go crazy first.