Organ accompaniment for Regina Caeli?
  • LauraKaz
    Hello all! I'm teaching my students the Regina Caeli and it is going very well so far. I'd like to use it as a recessional for the school Mass in a few weeks, but I have a feeling that it will be much better received if I accompany it. Are there any written-out accompaniments for it that you like to use? I already have downloaded and played through the one on CCWatershed, but all the inverted chords just sound weird to me when I play them with the pedals. I suppose if all else fails I could just try to tweak that one a bit...
  • kevinfkevinf
    St. Michael Hymnal....729. You should sing it every week, not just occasionally. After all, it is the seasonal antiphon. They will learn it that way.
  • LauraKaz
    You should sing it every week, not just occasionally. After all, it is the seasonal antiphon. They will learn it that way.

Yes, I know and completely agree. However, they have never heard it (or any of the seasonal antiphons) before at this parish, and neither have the older parishioners. Part of me worries that having them sing it at all this year is still somewhat risky boundary-pushing. However, I do have the kids sing it every time I see them in class, which is 3 times a week. So they are definitely learning it.
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen tomjaw Bri
  • kevinfkevinf
    Courage my dear,courage. Kids wont have a problem. Older parishioners do not run the show.
  • LauraKaz
    Also, I forgot to mention this, but I don't currently have access to the St. Michael Hymnal right now. The only resources my parish has are the OCP and Gather accompaniment books. I'd be willing to spend a little bit on a copy of the organ accompaniment, but it would be a bit much to drop close to $50 on the SMH organ edition just for one song.
  • LauraKaz
    Older parishioners do not run the show.

With the money they have, and the way this pastor operates, sometimes it seems like they do...
    Thanked by 1francis
  • kevinfkevinf
    Then the Pastor is an ass.
    Thanked by 2LauraKaz tomjaw
  • LauraKaz
    I'll be leaving this position next year anyway (because of the work environment), but I'm just trying to teach the kids as much as I can in these last few months. Thank you for sending the CPDL arrangement - I just played through it and it works very well!!
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen tomjaw
  • GambaGamba
    Ending Mass with the Marian antiphon has another advantage in school Masses: the antiphon is shorter than 99.9% of hymns/songs. Thus you can kill 3 birds with 1 stone: honor and invoke Mother Mary, sing truly beautiful and sacred music, and win friends among the teachers by keeping the Mass within the scheduled period and not robbing them of instruction time. I used to do weekly school Masses that were always sub-50 minutes with the following program and about 60 communicants, with only the priest distributing and usually EP1:

-Gregorian introit with its verse
    -ICEL Kyrie, [Gloria], Sanctus, Mystery…., Agnus
    -Psalm and alleluia
    -c. 10-minute homily
    -Hymn at offertory (of average length and all verses)
    -Gregorian communion antiphon and verses
    -Marian antiphon

Thanked by 3CHGiffen tomjaw Bri
  • francis
    Mark

Those links go to the Salve Regina
  • ServiamScores
    Not when I click on them.
  • LauraKaz
    Now that's a funny coincidence for sure. Right after I started this thread, they post that...
  • francis
    never mind... i was going down to the second paragraph and saw regina caeli and clicked that link which took me to salve regina