Mass setting in English with some chant or chant-based?
  • I sing in the choir at my parish Catholic church. There are 4 elderly ladies (2 sopranos and 2 altos) and me, who sings tenor but on a good day can get a little low. Our choir director is a competent organist but not a strong singer herself. Our church has a fine pipe organ. The choir loft is up high in the back of the church, in front of the pipes. Congregational singing is weak.

Our director is open to introducing a new mass setting, and I'd like to bring her some suggestions. Hopefully something more traditional, even chant-based or with chant elements, but primarily in English. And of course something currently in print so we could purchase a set of the sheet music for choir and organ. Ideally there could be some simple violin parts, for occasional use (I'm almost good enough, and have played violin in a few hymns in the past year, always with the pipe organ as the main instrument).

Thanks for any suggestions, and any commentary on those suggestions or on anything I have written here.

• Liam
  • Mass of All Saints by Russell Weismann
    Mass in Honor of Saint Ignatius by Russell Weismann
    Mass in F by William Endicott

All three are original chants set to the text of the new Roman Missal.

• Bombarde16
    I'm a HUGE fan of Peter Latona's "Mass of the Immaculate Conception."

Sadly, getting it is not as easy as just purchasing a score. You have to call the National Shrine of the IC and its licensed out through a one time fee. Then you have perpetual rights to print as many as you could ever possibly need.
    Thanked by 1PhilipPowell
  • Mass of St. Philip Neri - Paul Jernberg
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • without conceit I could offer my Missa Maris Stella and/or Mass of St Vincent de Paul. The former is based on the Ave Maris Stella chant and the latter is quite simple. Happy to send you a perusal score if interested.
  • henry
    Mass of Grace (Lee) published by GIA
  • ServiamScores
    Mass in Honor of Our Lady, Star of the Sea by Michael Olbash (available for free at CCW) is quite nice. It is written in an unmetered chant-esque style and exudes a certain dignity. We’ve used it for a few years now and are very happy with it.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Chaswjd
    There are any number of settings on CC Watershed. This is the gloria from one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlwifxKin64
  • Bobby Bolin
    New Plainsong by David Hurd