"recto tono in a low voice"
  • Gilbert
    What exactly does the phrase "recto tono in a low voice" mean? I find this phrase used in the Liber Usualis for certain prayers during the Office, such at the end of Sunday Vespers, "Fidelium animae per misericordiam Dei requiescant in pace." I realize that "recto tono" means sung on one pitch, but "in a low voice" I'm not too sure about.
  • chonakchonak
    Basses and altos only. :-)

Just kidding.

"In a low voice" and "in an elevated voice" refer to volume; thus, "in a low voice" means "softly."
  • Gilbert
    I found this in "Ceremonies of the Low Mass" Dublin 1846.

15. With regard to the voice :—the Rubric points out three inflections of it: the high, the moderate, and the low. The Priest pronounces those parts which are to be said in a low voice, in such a manner as to be heard by himself, without being heard by the assistants.

So, if this is true, if you sing something "recto tono" in a low voice, only you should hear yourself singing. This is really hard if there's people standing right next to you, plus for the "Fidelium animae...." there should be a response of "Amen." If no one can hear you, how would others know when to respond?
  • In practice, either in Monastic Vespers or Roman, this means dropping the voice a forth or a fifth after the Benedicamus Domino and singing on one note "Fideliium..." the forth or the fifth is not rubrical, but in practice this is how it is done. Certainly a discernibly lower note than the last note of the Benedicamus Domino is what is idicated by the the rubric.