Chant scores online with both square note and modern notation
  • Hey, there:

For a voice teacher, I would like to find an online resource that has both chant and modern notation on the same page.

Many thanks.

Kenneth
  • CGM
    I'm not sure that such a resource exists. I have assembled such documents on a chant-by-chant basis as needed (e.g. see the attached funeral chants). My recommendation would be that someone who needs to see both chant and modern notation put them on the same page, by
    — accessing GregoBase for the chant notation, and
    — searching up the modern-notation Liber Usualis for the Solesmes transcriptions.
  • ServiamScores
    I’ve produced a few PDFs on a chant-by-chant basis as well. I have also posted 2-3 videos that show both side by side, such as this one: https://youtu.be/Ii9ircZp4vk
  • ServiamScores
    Here’s another (Meditabor in mandatis tuis) https://youtu.be/CXfjj8VFhmM
  • That's great advice. I had one on hand but I think it was a unique piece from a website I normally used---and of course I threw it out so know I can't see.

The cut and paste idea is probably more useful immediately and then I will put my mind to it a little more.

Many thanks.

Kenneth
  • madorganist
    English chant in square notes coupled with accompaniment in modern notation is the style used in both The English Hymnal and The New English Hymnal. It's hard to typeset and modifications have to be made to the Gregorian note spacing to get things to line up.
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • ServiamScores
    I’ve seen somewhere where someone had just the melody in Gregorian notation but the rest in NOH style, with the melody and the NOH notation in the same grand staff. It was really, really neat, but apparently involved placing everything manually in indesign and was rather intensive (one can only imagine).

CCW has also shared a graduale romanum that had square note notation, but on a modern 5 line staff, which is also very interesting and makes reading pitches substantially more accessible to modern readers. I’m really surprised that style never took off. I rather like it.
  • GerardH
    I’ve seen somewhere where someone had just the melody in Gregorian notation but the rest in NOH style...

That was @francis if I'm not mistaken.

EDIT: here
  • francis
    Yea, I thought about mentioning it, but I was under the impression that it is not what the OP is looking for. I think he wants more of what the others have posted above. A comparison of square notation to modern notation. Yes?