Richard Rice's new storefront
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    reposted from NLM

imageRichard Rice is a serious composer by any traditional standard but his work has a special interest for Catholics because he has devoted a vast amount of his productivity to composing and typesetting music for liturgical praxis. And though his concert music is very difficult, he understands the needs of regular parishes and their limited resources and he devotes his talents to serving those parishes.

I would say that he stands out in this respect, carrying forward a tradition of composition that was very nearly broken entirely following the liturgical upheaval of the 1960s. Rice forged ahead, writing new music for the vernacular that far exceeds the quality of most anything you can buy from mainstream composers. He has also seen in the Gregorian chant what most people in the Catholic music world chose to ignore, namely that the music of the Mass provides a continuity between the old and new forms of the Mass.

His book Communio deserves a high place in the modern history of the new liturgical movement for providing an entryway for new scholas to sing the propers of the Mass, along with the Psalm verses that were extremely hard to find until his book. This book is in use worldwide. He has also produced a version with English Psalm verses for the choir to sing, which is especially suitable for dicey liturgical environments in which singing 100% in Latin can push some people over the edge.

Most people know Richard for his work on the Parish Book of Chant, which is in the pews of parishes, seminaries, and college chapels around the country -- a book that gives Catholic people back their true voice.

There is far more where that comes from. In addition to writing hundreds of Psalm settings in English, he alone has produced a book of Graduals and Alleuias with simplified Psalms, making it possible for most any parish to sing authentic music for Mass without stumbling on passages designed for more accomplished singers. He has further done for Offertories what he did for Communions: published the verses to permit the antiphons to be repeated.

I almost forgot what I think his great innovation for the ordinary form: a full Gradual in English that offers simple choral arrangements for all the propers of the Mass for the entire liturgical year. It is an amazing accomplishment.

Most all of the above are available for free download.

I've often thought about what makes Richard's work different. It has something to do with his capacity for employing genius in a way that is accessible to any singer in most any parish. Also, his work is heavily informed by his vast knowledge of Gregorian chant. More than anything else, the key to Richard's work is that it is not all about himself and displaying his own creativity. There is a notable humility that comes through in his music, along with a burning desire to bring beauty to Catholic liturgy, especially in these troubled times. So we should also add another virtue to his projects: the embody a kind of hope that has been an inspiration to many thousands of Catholic musicians.

He has taken a big step and opened up his own site for distributing hard copies of his work. I note that there are some new additions, including complete Latin introits for treble trio. This are presented according to the extraordinary form calendar but they are also useful in the ordinary form. I've seen a copy of these and they are fantastic!

As another addition, he has a book of Marian motets for SSA trio -- works that should be useful and beautiful in any parish.

I'm very excited about all of these new offerings. He is certainly making his mark on our times. You will note from his descriptions that he is not keen on bragging about his work, so the "sales copy" is ridiculously understated given the quality of his work.

Finally, let me say a word about the publishing approach here. Note that he doing it himself - which technology permits these days. Thank goodness. This gives the composer full control over his work, and permits him to financially support himself while also given away for free the vast part of his output. This project is worthy of support by all musicians providing music for the Mass.
  • I love this man.

And a request...I've never actually heard any recordings of choirs doing a piece from his choral gradual...anyone have on?
  • OOOOOOH yes! This is good news. What is more amazing than his generosity is the sheer output of his work. Though I have also found his work to have great humility, I must shout- Go, Richard Rice!!!
  • In the meantime, Richard has actually opened his own new portal
  • Way to go, Richard! And those of us with choirs of women say, "Amen."
  • I do enjoy his new settings. Though they are better than marty haugen, they are not better than "Mass XIII - Stelliferi conditor orbis (Author of the star-filled heavens)" english adaptation sent to me previously in an email by CMAA. I think that the skilled composers ought to spend more effort adapting the churches treasury of latin settings from the past millenia into english rather than giving us more "modern music" thats while bearable is not particularly interesting. Better to give a lesson in humility to adapt the antique masters settings than to inflate our egos thinking we can replace them. Why reinvent the wheel?
  • When it comes to my English Mass setting, I can't really dispute "not very interesting". I might point out, however, that what I would consider musically interesting would find few willing and able performers, and fewer indulgent pastors, in our Catholic churches. So be it. I'm not out to turn our choir lofts into studios for experimental modern music. What I am out to do, at least in the context of CMAA, is provide useful settings for average parish choirs, which hopefully have some aesthetic merit and spiritual value; I leave that judgment to the parish choirs in question.

But it would be tragic indeed were we to declare all liturgical music of value to be already and sufficiently written. There is the resulting aesthetic poverty for the Church, but more importantly, there is the resulting spiritual poverty visited upon the Catholic artist, who finds his work summarily rejected at the altar, the very place he most earnestly desires to leave it. Such an offering cannot be truly satisfied through faux chant and quasi-Renaissance knock-offs, much less by anglicizing the antique masters. Such mucking about with true works of art seems nothing like an exercise in humility to me. On the contrary, it seems the sort of wholesale sell-out to rabid functionalism that is the worst sort of iconoclasm. In that kind of environment, I'd do better turning my meager compositional energy toward teaching a love and understanding of the antique masterworks in their original, beautiful, integral Latin language.
  • Wow, I'm guessing that Chris might have written the above differently if he knew that the composer himself would write a response, and an excellent response it is. Richard's contributions have been extraordinary. I'm also intrigued by how it happened that nearly 2000 of the country's top liturgical musicians had Richard's Mass setting delivered to their in-boxes today. That is a breath-taking achievement in itself. Again, a special thank you to Aristotle for putting together the whiz bang to make this kind of coverage possible.
  • francis
    Chris:

We, as composers of sacred music, should and will NEVER stop composing new liturgical music. It is in our very nature to follow in our Father's footsteps as the Holy Spirit is constantly inspiring and creating the new from within our minds and hearts. Whether you think any work is interesting or of value is entirely within your right to judge. Time and testing will simply bear it out.

It is not necessary for us (composers) or anyone to bastardize the body of Gregorian Chant as though that would 'improve' its usability. The chant is perfect in its original form. It is only our human frailty that we cannot rise to its demands and learn to appreciate its inner beauty. However, that is changing radically right before our eyes as the church is revisiting the beauty and value of its precious Latin Rite. We can certainly thank our present Holy Father for having such an effect on the world at large.

I guess my question to you would be how much of the chant have you actually sung during the liturgy? If you start drinking fine wine, even just once in a while, you will find it increasingly difficult to ever want the Thunderbird again.

If accessibility were the driving force for aspiring to compose music, then the art would simply cease to be art. This is the largest single fault of the publishing industry. It has lost sight of trying to attain what is the most beautiful in exchange for what is most accessible. Not that the two cannot occur simultaneously, but it is more rare than not. And those who can recognize the most beautiful in all forms of art including sacred music are also a rare breed.
  • incantuincantu
    Last time I checked I was in the top 1800 or so. Did my position slip? My mailbox is empty...
  • O Christ our God, who at all times and in every hour, in heaven and on earth, art worshipped and glorified; who art long sufferring and merciful and compassionate; who lovest the just and showest mercy upon the sinner ; who callest all to salvation through the promise of blessings to come; O Lord, in this hour receive our supplications and direct our loves according to thy commandments. Sanctify our thoughts, cleanse our minds: deliver us from all tribulation, evil and distress. Encompass us with thy holy Angels, that guided and guarded by them, we may attain to the unity of the faith and to the knowledge of thine unapproachable glory, for thou art blessed unto ages of ages. Amen.

I am saddened that my opinions could have been felt to be arrogant by any of you my dear brothers or sisters in Christ. I can only recommend to you these recordings:

"Cappella Romana - The DIVINE LITURGY in English" CD
    "Romeiko Ensemble - He Cometh At Midnight – The Bridegroom Service of Great & Holy Monday" CD

http://www.llpb.us/The%20Ordinary.htm
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Bo1Uei0h18&feature=related

Perhaps what we are seeing differently is the very nature and culture of the Church itself. As well as the nature of "ars sacra" and meaning of art within a tradition. I see that some melodists (composers) at present time feel constrained by the lay latin catholics, priests and bishops who refuse to use the venerable music of our heritage. Perhaps in advent 2010 there will be a greater respect of our ancient chant and polyphony.

The Latin Church can not continue to emulate for it's liturgy the model of the secular humanist corporate entities selling a product which has the result of destroying our traditions, which eventually destroys ourselves. Our thousands of years of accumulated knowledge to help us on our path to salvation must survive by God's grace.

The Latin Catholic Church can discuss whether adapting gregorian chant into english is bastardization. It can discuss whether composers of our age can replace their received tradition from apostolic times.

The Eastern "Orthodox" Catholic Churches already know the answers to those questions. New music can be written, but our tradition is not a disposable product. I will not sacrifice my heritage for convenience. My soul is not for sale. Neither is the Churches.

“Liturgical chant is the only music in world history that has a continuous 1500-year unbroken melodic tradition” "these age-old chants, especially preserved on Mount Athos, bear a relevance and a beauty that is unmatched by other, later productions" - Dimitri Conomos
  • Just checking again to see if anyone has a recording of something from the Choral Gradual?
  • Richard, Francis, and anybody out there who is writing - keep up the good work. Write the challenging settings.

And write the ones we can take to our more modestly gifted singers and our churches and use to continue the sea change already in progress.

I have great faith in the Holy Spirit - I also have great faith in all of you. Thank you for your efforts.
  • CharlesW
    My thanks to Richard for propers that my choir willingly sings. Oh sure, they are capable of singing works that are much more difficult, and often do so. But the simplicity of Richard's gradual, is what has caused the choir and congregation to respond so warmly to it. There is great beauty in simplicity.
  • Dittos to what other Charles just said from CA.
  • The Mass in E by Richard Rice is one of my favourite 'new' mass settings. What an exceptional composer ! His compositions help the Church to dispel the amnesia about who she really is and to renew the Catholic quest for beauty, truth, and wisdom.
  • incantuincantu
    I did not previously know about the Offertoriale. I suggest you all take a look. While the settings are somewhat utilitarian, something that I venture Richard would agree is not entirely a bad thing, these are welcome additions to a repertoire which is sadly lacking four-voice settings of certain offertories (the golden age of the motet favoring at times 3 voices or 5 or more).
  • incantu, I think you'll find a good variety, both of voicing and difficulty, in the Offertory collection. I wonder how many directors will want to burn up rehearsal time on a piece that comes around once a year, though?
  • miacoyne
    Richard, I've been using your Communion propers and Im going to try Offertory too next month. They are wonderful. Is there any way I can add more verses if I need to? Thanks.
  • incantuincantu
    Too few, Richard, too few. We sing a motet on the offertory proper probably 40 out of 52 weeks (the number increases each year), and all but one or two (Perfice comes to mind) are sung only once.
  • "The Mass in E by Richard Rice is one of my favourite 'new' mass settings..." —vincentuher

It looks like I didn't thank you for your kind words, which I appreciate.
  • The storefront looks great! Congratulations, and thank you for all the work you do!