The Liturgical Movement – Major Advancements Every 60 Years?
  • Repost from a 2010 blog post by Adam Bartlett.
    https://www.chantcafe.com/2010/06/the-liturgical-movement-major-advancements-every-60-years/

I mentioned in the comment box on one of Jeffrey’s recent posts that in a course I’m currently taking on the 19th and 20th century “Liturgical Movement”, a classmate remarked that we are, now in 2010, almost as far away from Vatican II as Vatican II was away from Pope Pius X’s 1903 Motu Proprio, Tra le Sollecitudini.

This was a very keen insight, one that the professor himself had not yet thought about. I was thinking about this more and I realized that there was another equally important event 60 years earlier than Pius X’s 1903 Motu Proprio: Prosper Guéranger’s “The Liturgical Year” was begun and first published. This 15 volume work on the liturgy really was the first substantial rumbling in the 19th c. Liturgical Movement, perhaps the “soft” inauguration, or initiation of the movement.

So it seems a paradigm shifting event has taken place just about every 60 years in the modern liturgical movement since it first begun:

1841 – Guéranger’s “The Liturgical Year” is first published (the Liturgical Movement initiated)
    1903 – Pius X’s “Tra le Sollecitudini” on Sacred Music is given Motu Proprio (the Liturgical Movement is officially inaugurated by the Church)
    1963 – “Sacrosanctum Concilium” of the Second Vatican Council is promulgated (the Liturgical Movement is codified in a Dogmatic Constitution of the Church)
    2023 – ???
    What’s coming friends? Each of the previous events was a forceful and paradigm shifting event in the modern Liturgical Movement. Each built upon the other, no doubt amidst the simultaneous chaos of the developing modern world, but each was a substantial and clear turning point in the movement. If history repeats itself, we are due for the next 60 year installment of the Liturgical Movement in about 13 years.

Here is my initial prediction, if my logic is on-target:

1. Initiation
    2. Inauguration
    3. Codification
    4. Implementation

This is great reason to hope, friends. This is clearly where our Pope is leading us. What will be the next paradigm shifting event that future generations will study in their liturgy courses? There is great reason to hope!
  • That aged...

aged...

it’s older now.
    Thanked by 1Jeffrey Quick
  • Nihil,

Adam's right, but not, perhaps, in the way he intended. How else could you read the rescript and Janitors of Tradition?
    Thanked by 1LauraKaz
  • a_f_hawkins
    Of course TC and the rescript are not addressed to the faithful at large, but only to bishops. So rather than lament the stupidity and incoherence of those regulations, try reading Desiderio desideravi, which is addressed to all the faithful. Fighting what will probably always be Fortescue's "uneducated little cads who run that filthy congregation at Rome" is unproductive.
    Thanked by 1Paul F. Ford
  • tomjaw
    Why are we rearranging the deck chairs... What is the point of playing with the Liturgy if your seminaries are closed and you are running out of priests. The Church has one priority it needs to solve the vocations crisis.

Arguing about the translation of the Mass into say Klingon, and the Rubrics of the new Klingon Missal is a waste of time if you have no priests to use this Missal.
  • Since the liturgy is the source of our faith, it seems to me that “fixing” it is not rearranging the deck chairs, so much as repairing foundations so the house doesn’t totally collapse. As a young man, I had absolutely NO interest in dumb liturgies, but was always enthralled with elevated ones. I suspect the same is true for many seminarians. Rectifying the liturgy writ large will likely attract more young men to devote themselves to it.
  • francis
    1841 – Guéranger’s “The Liturgical Year” is first published (the Liturgical Movement initiated)

Crystallization

1903 – Pius X’s “Tra le Sollecitudini” on Sacred Music is given Motu Proprio (the Liturgical Movement is officially inaugurated by the Church)

Implementation

1963 – “Sacrosanctum Concilium” of the Second Vatican Council is promulgated (the Liturgical Movement is codified in a Dogmatic Constitution of the Church)

Diabolical Disorientation and Destruction

2023 – ???
    What’s coming friends?

Persecution, Catacombs & Martyrdom, And the Triumph of Our Lady,s Immaculate Heart and the long awaited promised Era of peace
    Thanked by 2ServiamScores tomjaw
  • the Triumph of Our Lady,s Immaculate Heart and the long awaited promised Era of peace
    Your lips to God's ears!
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • SalieriSalieri
    I read "Fiddle D.D." (Desiderio), when it was released. It was a poorly done quasi-pious word salad, rehashing much of the same blah-blah about liturgy and the Great Leap Forward that was Vatican II that has been on the editorial page of "Pastoral Liturgy" for the past 50 years: it is copy and paste from several drafts, with the seams between them fairly obvious. Reading it was a waste of about ten minutes that could have been more constructively spent trimming my toenails or rearranging my sock drawer.
  • francis
    2023 – ???
    paradigm shift?

https://www.vatican.va/content/francesco/en/motu_proprio/documents/20210716-motu-proprio-traditionis-custodes.html
    Art. 1. The liturgical books promulgated by Saint Paul VI and Saint John Paul II, in conformity with the decrees of Vatican Council II, are the unique expression of the lex orandi of the Roman Rite.

NOTICE

THE TLM HAS BEEN CANCELLED

This is mere posturing... he can say this as much as he wants, and create fear for those who do not follow suit... just because he wrote these words, does it make it TRUE?
    and the rest of it as it concludes...

Everything that I have declared in this Apostolic Letter in the form of Motu Proprio, I order to be observed in all its parts, anything else to the contrary notwithstanding, even if worthy of particular mention, and I establish that it be promulgated by way of publication in “L’Osservatore Romano”, entering immediately in force and, subsequently, that it be published in the official Commentary of the Holy See, Acta Apostolicae Sedis.

Given at Rome, at Saint John Lateran, on 16 July 2021, the liturgical Memorial of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, in the ninth year of Our Pontificate.

FRANCIS

He ORDERS to be observed in all its parts...

I would say THIS is the (attempted) paradigm shift of the century... but it's not over by a long shot.

Canon 87.1 was invoked by the Bishops and TC went out the (aggornamento?) window. Then, Francis put forward the Rescript because they didn't think about the loophole in Canon law... Now they are clamping down and insisting that Canon 87 has now been withdrawn from the authority of the Bishops.

Next?

[not everything is an "advancement" as the OP suggests... sometimes we enter a battle and must overcome evil with good. Let's not forget the monumental error of Arianism and how it swept through the Church in her early years. Sometimes it's just a circus of tyrants.]
    Thanked by 2ServiamScores tomjaw
  • stulte
    Now they are clamping down and insisting that Canon 87 has now been withdrawn from the authority of the Bishops.

Thankfully, canon 1752 is still in place for the Bishops to make use of.