Requiem Absolution Confusion
  • Hello,

I am currently typesetting the chants for the Requiem Mass and accompanying ceremonies (1962 Rubrics). I got through the Mass just fine, but after puzzling over all the other stuff for a couple of weeks, I figured I should see if the folks on the forum have some ideas. Basically, I don't understand how the rubrics for the chants and prayers of the Absolution work. I have several different books which I have been comparing, and I have also been looking at the pdfs of older chant books. It seems like none of the official books just gives one single clear absolution.

Most of what I find is Requiem Mass, followed by absolution (not including In paradisum and Benedictus), followed by burial service which has another absolution. So one of my questions is why are there two absolutions? Also, I am confused by the places where plural forms are given of some words, because later on, when the same responses are repeated at the second absolution, no plural forms are offered.

So in addition to my other reasons for re-typesetting this, I now have the added goal of presenting it in such a way that the average singer can actually understand the rubrics. (which I currently do not)

I don't know how much of the discrepancy between the books is gradual changes which were made over the years, and how much of it is just small mistakes and lack of clarity in explaining the ceremony.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  • a_f_hawkins
    Try looking at the Liber Usualis 1961 p1768 (available here , it mentions the fact that the absolution after Mass is not changed for gender or number, and later that at the grave it IS changed.
    Thanked by 1OMagnumMysterium
  • tomjaw
    If you look at the Missal Romanum, you have a number of options. You are right that it is confusing some of the books are very badly set out.

1. Mass when the body is present.
    2. Mass when the body is not present.
    3. A variety of ad lib prayers.

Also you will find options for the absolution after the Office has been sung.

I will dig up my books and either scan them or describe the options.
  • a_f_hawkins, I wasn't able to find what you are talking about in the 1961 Liber. I have a hard copy, and I checked the pdf. Are you sure that is the page?

tomjaw, I looked in the 1962 Missale Romanum in the CMAA library, and I found exactly two absolutions (and I suppose two is a number). One for when a body is present, and one for when no body is present. Once I ran the rubrics through a translator, they were pretty clear. However, the one for when no body is present has no In paradisum and Benedictus, which contradicts what we did for our Requiem Mass for Pope Emeritus Benedict. Maybe we just got it wrong, but I would imagine FSSP Seminarians know the rubrics (unless they're just as confused as me). I also think we might have done the In paradisum and Benedictus for All Souls Day as well, but I could be remembering that wrong.

As far as the different prayers at Mass go (collect, secret, postcommunion), I'm not going to worry about that since I'm just making a book for the singers, and which Mass prayers to use is more for the priest to figure out. All the sung propers stay the same anyway.
  • a_f_hawkins
    Sorreee, p.1766 - I have been having difficulty with my right eye, the better one. Some typefaces have built in booby traps!
  • Ah, that makes more sense. But it seems to me like that part is just talking about the prayer Non intres which is never altered. I don't think the Liber is also talking about the rest of the absolution at that point. I suppose I could be wrong, but I always took "the following Prayer" quite literally. Does anyone else read it one way or the other?
  • Alright, I think I have a clearer understanding now of how the absolution works, but if someone knowledgeable could confirm or deny a few specific things, that would be really helpful.

1. When there is no body present, the Ant. In paradisum and the Benedictus are omitted.

2. The responses "Erue, Domine animam ejus (animas eorum)", "Requiescat (Requiescant) in pace", "Reqiuem aeternam dona ei (eis) Domine", "Et lux perpertua luceat ei (eis)", and "Anima ejus (Animae eorum) et animae omnium fidelium ect." all take either the singular or plural form depending on whether the absolution is for one or multiple people.
    (the books of chants only offer singular and plural forms for these responses some of the time, which confuses me.)

3. If the In paradisum is sung, the Ego sum and Benedictus are always also sung.

4. Whether the In paradisum is sung in the church or while going to the cemetery is dependant upon whether or not the body is being physically carried there (as opposed to being driven).

5. There are only two forms of the absolution, that for when a body is present, and that for when no body is present.

6. The Subvenite is sung as the body is being brought from the back to the front of the church.

7. The other psalms and antiphons besides the Mass, Absolution, and Subvenite are very seldom used, and probably don't need to be included in a book of chants.
  • I've gotten a fairly complete draft now of the Mass and Absolution. If anyone has any comments or critiques I'd be happy to hear them. Especially about the rubrics for the Absolution. What I put for the rubrics reflects the 1962 Missal rubrics from the CMAA library pdf (to the best of my knowledge). I didn't copy it word for word, but I tried to summarize the information I got from running the rubrics through a latin translator.
    (the first page is blank on purpose)
  • ServiamScores
    OMM—you assemble very beautiful booklets!
  • Thank you very much!
  • In case you're interested, here's some other things I put together. The Kyriale, and the propers from Advent I to Christmas III. I have mixed feelings about the propers, but I'm pretty happy with the Kyriale.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw CHGiffen
  • CGM
    typo on p. 2 of the Mass/Absolution booklet:
    "Responsory" is spelled with two "o"s and one "e", not "Responsery"

and suggestion on the same phrase: it might sound better with "upon", as in
    "Responsory upon entering the Church"
  • Thank you! I will fix that, and I also agree that "upon" would sound better. I'm glad someone knows how to spell, because it is certainly not my strong suite.