Music for Spanish Mass
  • Hello Hivemind!

I have just recently taken over direction if a small choir for my parish Spanish Mass (and have taken over direction for the music in general).

Right now we have the "good ol' American Spanish Catholic" book "Flor y Canto."

Does anyone have any leads on good resources for Spanish Mass music that is more faithful to what one might have found in mexico, Spain, Portugal, etc. prior to the nonsense of the 20th century?

Otherwise, any way to help build up the SACRED Music of my local Spanish Mass would be greatly appreciated. (Though, let it be know ln that they love when I chant in Latin from the Graduale Simplex... it's just a matter of taking some time before I can get them into some of the Latin stuff on their own...).
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    prior to the nonsense of the 20th century

You mean the adoption of the vernacular, then ;-)

Christmas and Eucharistic villancicos are fairly numerous. You can start with Upsala and Guerrero, then browse the posts in "Music for Hispanic Ministry". Oremos cantando is much better imho than Fl&C.
  • davido
    http://www.pewmissal.com/brand_new/index.php/ignatius-pew-missal/canta-la-misa/
    You could just buy the accompaniment books from this page, which would give you Entrance and communion antiphons and psalms and alleluias to chant in Spanish
    Thanked by 1PaxTecum
  • Nisi
    Davido is right — get the Spanish pew Missal (more of a nice Missalette, really) from Ignatius Press, called “Canta la Misa”. The hymns, though not many, are better than (any?) other source(s), but the heart of it is the complete set of Propers for every Sunday of the Year, composed by Fr. Samuel Weber, O.S.B., and all in Spanish and easily tackled by an amateur choir. If you buy enough copies, the accompaniment book is free.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • PaxTecum
    I agree with the Ignatius "Canta La Misa"; however beware there are many grammatical errors in the spanish responsorial psalm and alleluia/other texts.

Another place for propers is the Spanish Propers Project
    https://spanishpropers.com/
  • Richard Mix... I wasn't sure if there was a history of singing vernacular hymns at low mass in the same way that the Germans, Poles, et. al. have done. I was hoping that, if that was the case, I could try to tap into that music.

Nisi & Davido, thanks so much! I'm I'm a unique position in that, whole we have plenty of Mexican parishioners at my Parish, we have a large amount of Spaniards and Portuguese as well, so I'm also looking into a mix of Hispanic music.
  • I am not at liberty to disclose very much, but suffice it to say that I've seen a proof for a new Spanish hymnal that will be published by ILP, and it is excellent. It is the closest thing I've ever seen akin to a "normal" hymnal, and they've taken pains to render many classic hymns in Spanish (classic to Spanish peoples, and "classic" in the sense of what we would think of, ie- Anglo/Germanic hymnody) and there are a not insignificant number of Gregorian chants presented in both Latin and Spanish. Things like Parce Domine, or Adoro Te Devote. Hopefully it will be published sooner than later. If you live in this world, you will definitely want to order a copy once it comes out.
  • I should mention that we have their bilingual English/Spanish pew missals and they are similarly excellent. Has both languages on opposing pages in lock-step throughout. They are very well-made, too.
  • TCJ
    I recommend getting Canta la Misa as well for an additional resource. You can also find some tradicional hymns on Hymnary.

If you're interested in a Spanish ordinary, I have composed a Santo and Cordero de Dios for four voices (or unison with organ). Haven't gotten around to a Gloria yet. You could also look into Misa al Sagrado Corazon by Carlos Zapien.
  • Surprisingly, nobody has mentioned the CMAA's own resources:
    https://musicasacra.com/resource-lists/ (go to bottom left)
    Jennifer Donelson-Nowicka's Spanish Propers are linked from Janet Gorbitz'

The Misa Romana listed there was commissioned by CMAA for last year's Colloquium. It's a straightforward setting of the USCCB chant Mass, so any pew resource should have that for the people to sing with. It's choral, but can also be done by cantor with or without assembly
  • Jeffrey, those are good resources, although in truth they are somewhat limited.

Another set of similar resources is the Zipoli institute, although again, you have to hunt around for what you'd like to find, and its not comprehensive, although it's a good place to poke around.
  • Everything is somewhat limited. A liturgy that's only 50 years old and which people haven't taken seriously will impose limitations.
  • So since this has come up, does anyone have a copy of the Reproaches/Improperia in Spanish? I've been poking around all the corners where I know to look, but so far, no luck.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    GIA's Oramos Cantando is also worth a look. I used it to insert some non-FyC music into Masses at the seminary where I used to work.
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores