• What is the usual stipend for organist: (part time, NO, USA)
    1. Weekend Mass
    2. Choir / cantor rehearsal
    3. Wedding
    4. Funeral
    5. Preparation work
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    There are no standards. Depends on:

What the pastor/parish is willing to pay
    What the organist is willing to accept
    And to a lesser extent the experience/expertise of the musician.
  • a_f_hawkins
    The AGO used to publish a suggested schedule of fees, but the US Government said it violated competition law. As I am not in the US I might be safe sending you a link to a 2001 copy of what the Los Angeles Chapter thought then.
  • CHGiffen - ain’t it the truth!
  • MarkB
    Why all the coy responses?

In my region:
    1. $115-$200 per
    2. same as Mass if it's a separate rehearsal rather than just before Mass
    3. $150-$300
    4. $75-$200
    5. You are responsible for self-preparation; not compensated additionally

I charge for my services and pay substitute accompanists at the top of those ranges. Never had any wedding nor funeral family balk at the music fees since I increased them to those higher amounts in the fall of 2021. I think the music stipends that are typical in my diocese are too low, but maybe not when you account for the musicianship they're getting at other parishes. I wasn't afraid to break from the pack and lead by setting a higher stipend amount for my services, besides which I think the amounts on the lower end of the range are insulting.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • rvisser
    In the Twin Cities (MN) I was paid $225 per wedding. When I hired weekend subs it was $150 per Mass. Funeral stipends were $100 but families were not charged for funerals (the $ came out of the parish budget).
  • My stipend is $200 for a mass, full rehearsal, or wedding.
    If the pertinent parties seem impecunious I will offer discounts.
    Funerals I'm more flexible about.

I do not do wedding rehearsals,
    and if extra rehearsals with singers and/or instrumentalists are required the wedding fee becomes $300.

Thanked by 2ServiamScores tomjaw
  • Bri
    The Archdiocese of Chicago publishes compensation guidelines.

https://pvm.archchicago.org/documents/87254/88701/Divine-Worship_Compensation_Guidelines_121319.pdf/4f5e3bbd-0518-4fe7-88d0-4e3ce7f209a4

Most parishes where I sub pay between $100 and $150 per weekend Mass.

I was recently paid $175 for a funeral. I'm not sure if this is typical as I rarely play for funerals.
    Thanked by 1Jeffrey Quick